Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

"Halos" on stars

Attached is a crop of some M101 data that I took last night. it is a stack of 16 x 200 sec, 10 x 150 secs lights and 11 x 200 sec darks. They have been stacked in DSS. Focus was achieved with a Bahtinov mask. All taken on an unmodified canon 50D, SW Equinox 80mm Pro, SW field flattener and SW LP filter.

When you zoom in, some of the stars appear to have dark centre with a halo around them. Some have a bright centre and a concentric dark and light band....they almost look like Airy discs.

What is doing this? Is it normal? bad focusing? Bad tracking being averaged over the stack?

post-21666-133877538496_thumb.jpg

A full frame sub will be enough as long as you can see the "effect"...

Ahhh...now that's interesting. I have looked at a couple of the RAW files. No sign of the effect, though one or two subs have a wee bit of trailing when viewed at 100%. I guess that a couple of those would mean that DSS is averaging out the trails. crating a "halo"?

I think that I will go through the stack again with a more critical eye and delete anything that has any trailing?

Isnt this DSS and the fix cosmetics options? Clean hot pixels/clod pixels?) Have seen this asked before with dark centres on stars, and turning off the costmetic options fixed it first time.

Hmmm...I have re-stacked them, and chucked out any less than perfect subs. Still got the dark stars, so will try unchecking the cosmetic tickbox.:)

Isnt this DSS and the fix cosmetics options? Clean hot pixels/clod pixels?) Have seen this asked before with dark centres on stars, and turning off the costmetic options fixed it first time.

You, Sir, are a genius. Please send me your fax number so I can fax a £50 note to you by way of thanks:D

Deselecting the Cosmetic "Detect and Clean Hot Pixels" has returned my star cores to me.

Thanks very much:icon_salut:

Archived