Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Herefordshire

Whole new world...

Hello there!

After weeks of research and taking advice from the lounge I took the plunge last night and ordered a SW Skyliner 150 Dob. I'm totally new to astronomy and have ignored all the advice about using binoculars for a while first (intended to, but as soon as i had an active interest, so did the clouds!) so i have no idea what to expect. I'm hoping to see Saturn's rings - think that will have the wow factor for me, but i'm also hoping this will be a lifelong and sustainable hobby.

I've ordered Phillip's stargazing 2011. Is this a good starting point for learning the night sky? It hasn't been dispatched yet so can cancel and order something more useful based on your advice..........

Hi there and welcome to SGL. As a relative newbee as well, I recommend Turn Left At Orion. Great intro for beginners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks IvanT. 'Turn left at Orion' has been mentioned quite a few times. Does it have star charts that will tell you what will be visible on a given night?

Hello there!

I'm hoping to see Saturn's rings - think that will have the wow factor for me,

Congratulations!

The explorer 150PL is pretty much the same scope and you can clearly see Saturn's rings, and even the Cassini Division. It's a great set of optics, that's for sure.

Thank you Parus. Really pleased to hear that! Spent so long changing my mind and deciding between goto mak and simple dob that in the end I just had to GET something, suck it and see. Hope I made the right choice.

Hello and welcome mate, congrats on the new purchase. I hope you get many years enjoyment out of it. :-)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Good choice of scope and will certainly keep you entertained! Binos are a great way to learn the sky but its not quite the same as seeing objects through a scope.

Have fun and clear skies for the new arrival!

James

Thank you Parus. Really pleased to hear that! Spent so long changing my mind and deciding between goto mak and simple dob that in the end I just had to GET something, suck it and see. Hope I made the right choice.

Well I've had mine for a year and my next purchase is a EQ6 mount and not another scope.

When I say you can see the Cassini Division I mean you can see it using the stock eyepieces that come with the scope which aren't anything special at all so it get's better when you get better ones.

Edited by Parus major

,hi and welcome turn left at orion make sure its not the 2005 edtion you want the latest one a g had to send mine back to amazon

Hi and welcome to SGL :)

Enjoy your scope and Clear SKies .. and another vote for Turn Left at Orion

Hi and a warm welcome to SGL, TL@O is excellent, the authors recommend you take it outside, but I prefer to keep mine in good condition, however, if you want star charts you can take outside with you, they do not come any better than Sky and Telescopes Pocket Sky Atlas, if you want to expand further, have a look in the forums equipment review section for The Illusrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders, this will keep you entertained for a bit :)

John.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Turn left at Orion is a great book.

Hi Herefordshire, welcome to the Lounge.

TL@O is a good book, and The Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders takes over really after you have mastered the first one. As also mentioned the Sky and Telescope pocket Atlas is a good book, apart from being a comprehensive atlas, it's also laminated and I use mine every time I get out.

The price of these won't break the bank either, and make smashing prezzies for the family to get for you! :)