Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

confused

alig46

Hi There

I am very new to astromony my 8 year old nows more than I will ever know, I am trying to learn.

I have a 127 Skymax synscan scope.

I would like a little advice on how to set it up correctly

I choose the two star alignment method first star say Rigel wich i set up and then choose the second star Polaris press enter and away it goes and ends up no where near it.

does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Alig46

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I don't have any personal experience with this scope but do you have the instructions that came with the scope? There are a number of things that could be at fault here.

Have you ensured that the tripod that the mount sits on is level.

Have you put the correct date in the right order (MM.DD.YYYY not DD.MM.YYYY)

I know people grumble about Skywatcher instructions but I don't think they are quite as bad now as they used to be. If you don't have the instructions you can download them from the Skywatcher website or their British distributor (sorry can't remember their name). The two questions listed above are the most common mistakes we have all made and the answer is to take you time and double check your input.

James

Hi there. I have had the same scope for a couple of weeks now. As has been said, you need to enter the date the american way. Also, I had problems getting the exact latitude & longitude. I ended up using my satnav and standing in the back garden with it. I use the skyalign method - where you just select any 3 stars. That all seems to work.

Hi, Alig, and welcome to the lounge.

I've got the same scope, but have only used the three star method. If the clouds ever lift :), I'll try the two star method and see if I have the same problem. Keep us posted if you sort it out.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I've been led to believe that the skywatcher goto's are one of the easier to use so its probably something as simple as the members have mentioned already, date input and/or leveling.

Good luck and don't forget to let us all know how you get on :)

Hi, Alig, and welcome to the lounge.

I've got the same scope, but have only used the three star method. If the clouds ever lift :), I'll try the two star method and see if I have the same problem. Keep us posted if you sort it out.

Of course, what I MEANT to say was I use "brightest" star alignment. Told you I was an idiot :(

HI

Thanks for the warm welcome to SGL.

I was caught out the first night with the date but sorted that out.

I have even brought my garmin sat nav to my scope and and plotted my lat and long. into the hand control from it.

Would normally take Rigel or Sirius as first Star and then polaris etc I am sure it is me being a numpty rather than something wrong with the scope.

I always check the scope for level.

Thanks

Hello and Welcome to SGL. I have the same scope and use 2 star alignment.

It's recently been picking Sirius and Capella. The scope tends to slew to the second star pretty closely leaving me with not a lot of adjustment to make. I would triple check that you have everything in the right way around such as date/time & coordinates. You could try manually choosing different stars perhaps ? Is it OK once you have moved it to the star it wants manually ? Sorry lots of questions for you there, just trying to help diagnose.

Archived