Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GOTO mount with a mind of it's own - batteries?

Quick question to see if anybody else has experienced the same prob and to put my mind at rest...

Had my 130p Synscan AZ Goto for 3 weeks or so and obviously hardly got any use out of it. Still on the first set of batteries as I haven't got round to getting a power tank yet..

Anyway last night...completed alignment as usual but as it got to the second star and was slowing down its slewing, I took a peek in the VF and it was just coming into view, all of a sudden the scope took off at it's fastest rate and tried to point itself vertical.

I put it down to a quirk, but then later on it did exactly the same thing. Just as it was coming to a stop it fired off to the vertical again...

Now I did the change the batteries and it sounded a lot more powerful than it was doing and it didn't do it again, but I only got about 15 mins more viewing out of it before the clouds came in.

Does this sound indicative of waning batteries or should I be more concerned?

i know batteries are a rubbish method of powering it but I'm nervous about a fault now.

Easiest way is to replace the batteries and see if the scope slews and tracks correctly. The drives on the EQ mounts draw just under 2 amps when slewing a balanced scope, so I would guess the motors in your scope could do the same, which could drain normal AA batteries fairly quickly assuming they are good and have a full charge.

Archived