Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fitting out an Observatory

Macavity

Not strictly a DIY observatory - This one was thanks to the amazing Mr. Nick Evans - Of Alexander's Observatories! But, beyond mere bragging rights, I am interested in IDEAS for the later stages of fitting out (optimising) an observatory... :)

Observe1.jpg

First thing I realised, was that 72" high walls presented a bit of a height challenge for my current (tripod and pillar) mounts. LOL. With the help of a mate (and tame "brickie") I (rather, he!) added three brick pedestals. The underlying base is, a rather solid, flags over concrete! The few ersatsz shelves and "desk" (for laptop GoTo / Video Cam etc.) are my own doing... :eek:

Observe3.jpg

Right now, it's raining (no surprise!) in N.Wales, so I'm thinking about "sealing" the gap between treated timber base, and flags, to stop minor water ingress under the floor and door? :mad:

Rolling the roof back and forth is relatively easy. But, with shorter stature, and a "dicky ticker" t'boot, I'm also thinking about electrical winches and things... :rolleyes:

As a positive(?) start, a 96Ah Numax "Leisure Battery" (and charger) is "in the post" for early next week. :)

looks very nice, i take it that there is no wooden floor for this obsy then, are you a visual or do you do any imaging ? i like to image so one thing i`ve considered is a little warm room where you could sit with laptop on shelf.

also for the roof automation i have seen these remotely opened with electric garage door openers. they seem to work well, i have on on my garage that i`m thinking of removing for my obsy although the wife will not be happy as she may brake a nail

looks very nice, i take it that there is no wooden floor for this obsy then, are you a visual or do you do any imaging ? i like to image so one thing i`ve considered is a little warm room where you could sit with laptop on shelf.
Hopefully, without giving away too many trade secrets (or with a hearty endorsement, for the product!), there *is* a wooden base - A lattice of "treated timber", overlaid with waterproof chip(board). The brick pillars sit (fairly isolated) on the concrete flags, embedded in cement, over hardcore base etc. It is fairly (pleasingly!) SOLID. :)

Without firm ideas re. a central pillar, and doubts re. digging a "ruddy great hole" (LOL), I went for something simpler! My ambitions are mostly VISUAL, with a bit of dabbling in (limited exposure) "Video" imaging etc. :eek:

The idea of a SMALL warm(er) room appeals greatly! Even "out of the wind", the sky sucks (heat) - And quickly! But, with a 10'x8' obsy, I may indeed add a partition wall, OSB sub-roof, modest heating etc. :rolleyes:

also for the roof automation i have seen these remotely opened with electric garage door openers. they seem to work well, i have on on my garage that i`m thinking of removing for my obsy although the wife will not be happy as she may brake a nail
Heheh. They (garage door openers) look to be a good (safe!) solution. Meanwhile, I may take a punt on a cheap Winch. My main fear is, they seem capable of pulling a "few tons" weight(!), and might "flatten" (damage?) my leisure battery - Or send the roof into orbit... :)

If the roof runs free why not just use an endless cord?

I use a s/s wire arrangement on a roof shutter where one end was connected to the centre front edge of the shutter, ran underneath to out side the rear of the fixed wall over a small pulley then back over the wall to another pulley down the wall to a further spring (tension) loaded pulley then back up and over the wall/ pulleys and fixed to the rear of the shutter. By pulling the cable by hand up and down..the shutter opened and closed....Simples!

If the roof runs free why not just use an endless cord?
I LIKE the idea. I need to do a bit more visualising. <G> The roof runs fairly freely right now - With a bit of "tuning" (lubricant? Better wheels?). If I can incorporate the (not insubstantial!) weight of yours truly, via pulleys etc. Trying anyway to minimise rumblings and (electronic) whirrings in the night. :rolleyes:

Not strictly a DIY observatory - This one was thanks to the amazing Mr. Nick Evans - Of Alexander's Observatories!

If it's not a rude question, how much did something like that cost. I'm looking at landscaping our garden this year and would like to incorporate an observatory much the same as you have

i bought a second hand skyshed, plans can be bought or borrowed from the internet for about £50 then you make it up to suit yourself, the chap i bought it off said he had spent around £900 all finished with wood and a metal roof, haven`t had the time or weather to put it up yet.

If it's not a rude question, how much did something like that cost. I'm looking at landscaping our garden this year and would like to incorporate an observatory much the same as you have
It's the fairly standard 10'x6' observatory (priced accordingly + extras) from:

Welcome to Alexanders Observatories

"No commercial links" etc. But considerably better than I could have done. :(

Garden Landscaping courtesy of "bloke 'round corner" - Over MANY evenings!

I think I would have struggled with some of the more "commercial" prices. :)

As a positive(?) start, a 96Ah Numax "Leisure Battery" (and charger) is "in the post" for early next week. :)

I'm sure it has it's negative side.

sorry :p

One thought I've had for my own in progress obs is a cover for the desk to keep dew off the laptop etc.

Archived