Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Neodymium Filter

I've got one on order from Steve and when it arrives I plan (weather permitting)

to do some tests using it on the front of my Nikon 5400 to take some tracked

widefield long exposure images.

Hopefully I will post the results of images taken both with and without the filter

:D

Yes it's cuts out yellow glow from low pressure sodium very well.

Does this actually help you see more? - Well that depends.

If your yellow sky glow is really bad, then yes. Low down near the horizon I get a thick orange glow from the llghts in Worcester city centre. If I'm trying to view open clusters in this area, I can definitely see more stars with the filter than without. However, when viewing higher up (>30 degrees) it gives a net DECREASE in stars visible.

So back to the question - Is it worth getting - a big fat definite YES, but not for the reason given above, although it it pretty good at this. No, the reason is as a Mars Filter. It acts as a contrast filter; greatly increasing contrast in Martian surface features and weather, whilst still preserving a natural look to the planet - superb.

Archived