Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ISS pass

martin_h

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can try at the next pass at 8:11pm tonight with peak altitude at 8:13 above Orion this time so higher in the sky before disapearing at 8:16 - I think this pass is even faster than the earlier one, we may only see it for a couple of minutes.

Only for one minute here before it falls into the earths shadow. Although it's still going to be there, there will be no sunlight to reflect off it after 1 min.

Got lucky tonight, only two clear patches off sky between the clouds, one were Jupiter was, and the other from the left edge of orion to the right edge of Leo.

Was raining on top of me lol, but managed to catch as it came past Orion, was suprised how easy it was to see with the naked eye and how quickly it moves.

Only just got the 15x70 bins on it just as it went back behind the clouds, will try again in 30 mins.

Gutted too much cloud cover here so gave up and went to the pub to watch the end of the rugby, got back checked stellarium and saw it was just making another pass about 10 mins ago ran out the back but it had already dissapeared behind the building :eek: not having much luck.

I get another chance tomorrow though at 6:13 so will be ready :rolleyes:

Just took a look outside. Too much cloud. It's doing another pass at 2150 and then again at 2324, so I'll try again later. It's making another 4 passes tomorrow night too.

Even though it's passing it's not always visible when it can't reflect sunlight. The first visible pass once it's dark is 7.03 The rest it will be in shadow.

Been following all your post on the ISS didnot see them myself (newby) Iv found the heavens above site with all the flight paths .What I would like to no is how do you work out were it is in the sky and what time it will be where ? Just by looking at charts

Did manage to catch it in 5 frames out of 100 I took (bad alignment of red dot finder) and this is the best. It was raining 25 minutes before the pass so set-up was a little hasty; anyway you've got to give it a go as there aren’t many opportunities left now :rolleyes:

Mel

post-16960-133877537492_thumb.jpg

Did manage to catch it in 5 frames out of 100 I took (bad alignment of red dot finder) and this is the best. It was raining 25 minutes before the pass so set-up was a little hasty; anyway you've got to give it a go as there aren’t many opportunities left now :eek:

Mel

[ATTACH]51994[/ATTACH]

that's a great image ! :rolleyes:

Did manage to catch it in 5 frames out of 100 I took (bad alignment of red dot finder) and this is the best. It was raining 25 minutes before the pass so set-up was a little hasty; anyway you've got to give it a go as there arent many opportunities left now :rolleyes:

Mel

[ATTACH]51994[/ATTACH]

Fantastic

Been following all your post on the ISS didnot see them myself (newby) Iv found the heavens above site with all the flight paths .What I would like to no is how do you work out were it is in the sky and what time it will be where ? Just by looking at charts

Jetblakk, download Stellarium if you haven't done so already, and enable the Satelite tracking function under >Configuration>plug ins tab - tick the box at the bottom & close that window. Then press Alt+Z together to get the Satellite configuration menu up, goto the Satellites tab & select the ISS from the long list. Now close that window & press Ctrl+Z together & when the ISS is due overhead its trajectory will be shown & you'll see it whizz across at the specified time which you can get from Heavens above website after you've entered your latt & long.

If you have a laptop, why not take it outside with you, switch it Night mode (on stellarium - tab at bottom) and align yourself & laptop to South. You will now be able to see the location of the trajectory on laptop & see the physical stars infront of you to work out where you'll see it.

Try it tonight, if its as bright as 6:36 pass last night you'll not miss it!!

Sorry if thats a bit long winded & I'm teaching others to suck eggs!:rolleyes:

Chris

Alan, Jetblakk

Visit heavens-above, enter you lat and long and pick UK.

Ask for the passes of the ISS,

Select the one you want by the time.

This gives a path of it through the sky.

Click the link towards the top of the page that says "Ground Plot"

This gives the path of the ISS over the ground.

Solid line is in sun, dotted is in shadow.

Tonights at 19:02 going right over Southern England, looks like 90deg over London/Kent and is going West-East.

Should be easy to locate, if clear.

Get planning.

Archived