SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Easy way to find the Rosette?

msinclairinork

Hello :rolleyes:

How do I find the Rosette nebula?

I know roughly where it is, but I can't find any good refrence stars from my location.

Not sure what the lowest magnitude is that I can see here, but to give an idea there isn't many stars visable between Orion and Canis Minor.

I prefer to use the Telrad as oppose to the magnified finder as I have a dew heater for the finder.

P.S for unguided, 1min shots, how many should I aim for? (modded 300D)

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Micheal

I recently imaged the Rosette Nebula. I did use GOTO having synchronised on nearby Betelguese, however, the cluster of stars in the middle is I believe readily visible. If you look at my post at

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/129389-first-light-modded-dslr-rosette.html

The first image is more or less what you see through the scope - the brown light polution isn't so apparent. If you get that in the centre of your FOV then the nebula should come out in your image. As you can see from my post, the nebula is not really apparent until after processing.

I hope that helps.

Dave

OK you could try this - which is theoretical - I haven't tried it but may be worth a try.

Look at the the two top stars of Orion, Ballatrix and Betelgeuse, go the same distance to the East where there is a 4.49 mag star 13 Mon, which would be visible in binoculars or scope and then down a bit to the star cluster that is in the middle of the Rosette. Those stars have magnitudes 4.8 - 8 so should be visible in the scope. I do remember finding them once when I first started not realising that the nebula isn't easily visible.

Dave

I look for orions belt then from the leftmost bottom star in the belt:

10 oclock = rosette

11 oclock = cone

Horse head is basically around that left bottom star.

Further south from that star is the Orion Neb etc

Archived