Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn & Tethys...

Kokatha man

Not a lot of imaging weather here in South Australia of late, but we took advantage of reasonable conditions this last week to image down in the Mallee Country: Thursday (24th here) was the best of only 3 mornings that offered anything at all.....here's an rgb and an ir742nM, both showing Tethys as well...took a lot of captures but the seeing between 3:45am and 4:15am were the only ones worth processing: the better conditions lasting a bit longer whilst i took an LiRRGB run and this iR742nM, but after those it really dived..!

post-16205-13387753734_thumb.jpg

post-16205-133877537345_thumb.jpg

Go KM:hello2::rolleyes:

These are very nice results:icon_salut:

So much detail that I can forgive the hint of Blue (probably a laptop screen thing :eek: )

These under good but less than great conditions. Can't wait for the 9/10 pic's:D

Heh-hee.....yeah, apologies for that, it's the extreme tiredness factor at present: here's a much better repro of the rgb, rrgb and the iR742nM images..!:)

post-16205-133877537693_thumb.jpg

post-16205-133877537697_thumb.jpg

post-16205-133877537701_thumb.jpg

Thanks Luis - that first rgb posted shouldn't have been....!:mad::eek::)

I am very tired from all the nights of imaging lately and working on my new scope etc (and I'm approaching 62!:)) so we'll blame that on sloppiness from the weariness factor..!:mad::D

Anyway, this last lot are nearer my usual processings, and I agree that the rgb is better than the (next) r-rgb.....r-rgb's do tend to show a little more detail, but usually at the expense of the more natural appearance of a straight rgb.:rolleyes:

Well after the seeing had dipped considerably from that when the preceding images were taken (around 5am local time ) we took a couple of L-iR-R-G-B runs: using Torsten's FireCapture make taking multiple channel captures within tight time constraints much easier due to the histo display/markers etc.....this one turned out quite reasonable for the conditions imho, so I thought I'd post it into the thread...:rolleyes:

post-16205-133877537788_thumb.jpg

Good detail coming through,prefer the neutral colour too, though the top slightly more saturated and bluer version is showing the storm more clearly i think, top banding too. It just stands out a little more. what about a tad more saturation on the neutral one would that work in its favour ? You like your contrast or blacks Darryl, the bottom image looks less contrasted, which is showing the crepe better its lost on the others here, and my monitor is bright prefer the contrast or brightness levels of the last one, but the detail of the top, fussy lot planetary imagers granted. if i had results like any of them, would be huge improvement over the colour blur ones ive got so far

Thank you everyone - Neil, it's a valid point you make: I often go for darker backgrounds and obscure the Crepe Ring in varying degrees.....but then again, apropos my comments to Freddy, we're all constantly juggling things for the best processing (cf the first images at the top of the thread vs the (much better imho!) ones further down!!!:):()

As to your comments about saturation levels I considered that image the balance for me between too much colourisation and not enough.....the first images were OTT for me...but different perceptions, tastes, screens etc all play their part in these matters.....right now I'm working my way through them all (and reprocessing this one too!?!) to come up with a decent animation if I can..!;)

Francki, the Flea with the 618 chip is more sensitive than that in the DMK series of cameras, but whether you would get superior results is unquantifiable.....ultimately for best results with any gear "seeing is king":icon_salut:

But what you might like to try if you haven't/aren't already is downloading Torsten Edelmann's free FireCapture program.....it works with both the DMK & DBK cameras: vastly superior to ICCapture imho - you can choose an infinite variety of framerates to "tailor" for the night's conditions and features like the histogram markers for each channel as you capture makes for much more control over things - and for DBK owners there is a debayer program that is touted as superior to the debayer one used in Registax where you'd normally debayer the DBK avi's...:(

Thanks Rob and Stuart.....working my way through 8 sets of rgb's at the moment (actually, all 24 channels are ready for AstraImage now) and hope to do an animation of these 8 images in red channel and rgb covering almost an hour of Saturn's rotation.....should look ok with Tethys moving towards Saturn.....but the main criteria is to get all the images fairly uniform in all respects to help me create what would be my first (hopefully!!!:):() decent animation.....perhaps I should get some pointers from Freddy, who has become a bit of an animation expert over the last year.....:(;)

Archived