Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Shuttle launch as seen from airplane

MorningMajor

That's cool footage :-)

I was lucky enough to see a shuttle launch live from the cape back in 1992... it's an impressive sight. To be honest, although a lot of people seemto be getting all misty-eyed about the retirement of the shuttle... it was always a compromise brought about by lobbying of state governors on behalf of defence contractors in their states and a lot of secret handshakes. NASA missed the chance to do SSTO back then, I'm just glad that private enterprise is taking over and doing what they should have done thirty years ago.

Only thing I've ever seen that was cooler than the shuttle launch was a minuteman ICBM test from Edwards AFB... saw that at dusk from the middle of the Black Rock desert.... most magical thing I've ever seen (inspite of it being a weapons test :-)

Seeing the stage seperation in the dark was pretty awesome.

Reminds me of some cool footage I captured last year.... flew a large amateur rocket from a rocket event in the desert in California... it had several hi-res cameras filming the ground as it came down under parachute... managed to accidentally catch the launch of another rocket taking off underneath and flying past it.

Launches always look cooler from the air :-)

Ben

That was a great video.. Hopefully we'll see more footage like this coming from the private sector of the spacecraft industry. As has been said before though, it's really sad to see the shuttle programme disappear, especially as so many of us grew up with it as THE definitive space vehicle..

C'mon Branson and Co.. Inspire us!

Archived