Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Isee Dark Skies

Hi everyone,

I mentioned this the other week but the site is now built and online!

The site basically lets you add locations to a map and rate the skies, we're hoping to build up a database of the best dark sky sites in the UK and worldwide, its fairly straightforward to add a location, if the location has already been added you can add your own rating and comment to it.

The site is: http://iseedarkskies.com. Enjoy!

If you need any help, have any suggestions etc... please leave it either here or pm me,

Cheers,

Grant

Fantastic idea 8)

It'll probably be a slow burner at first but over time, is bound to be a hit.

:stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars:

This IS gonna be a big hit and not just on here.

Just imagine being able to get directions to a "good dark site" north or south of the border that has also been rated by other astronomers.

I have already entered 3 sites north of the border.

Remember folks this is only gonna be a success if YOU make it so.

So come on sign up and input your info.

Your country needs you......... Lord_Kitchener.jpg

Cheers guys :D

If everyone can enter as many places as they know this will start filling up in no time :p

Jamie , how come youve rated the skies better at Keilder than Loch doon?

Scot, if you disagree with anybodies ratings, underneath is an option to 'Add Rating' which will let you add your own ratring and comment about that site which changes the overall rating.

Cheers,

Grant

I know one of the NLO people has put a lot of effort in locating good dark-sky sites around Devon - I'll ask him for details :D

Jamie , how come youve rated the skies better at Keilder than Loch doon?

Mark its just the way the rating system works.

I have now adjusted that rating accordingly.

What a great idea. I've added my favourite. I'll have a think about some others.

Andy.

Looks like an awesome location Andy, its really fun to turn the 'satellite" mode on and see the aerial shots of the different locations, gives you a really good idea of how close they are to towns etc..

I'm pretty suprised more people haven't added to the site so far, quite a few have registered but not posted anything...

Just wanted to reassure people, you don't have to enter your address to add a location, its a big form with lots of questions but the only bits you have to feel in are your longitude and latitude (just click somewhere on the map), a name for this location (Stargazers Lane, London) and then give it a rating, everything else is optional.

Also, if you want to rate your garden but don't want to give you address or longitude/latitude away then click somewhere nearby, like in the street, that way your exact location is hidden but we get a rating of your general area.

Cheers,

Grant

The more dots on there the better CC :D

I wondered this the other day actually, if people would not put their locations on there because the skies aren't great but then we would only have the good sites listed but the idea is to be able to see where the good and bad sites are. So by adding your garden, people will know that particular part of the UK is not great.

There's also this site, which

is worldwide. I've put up my Sky Quality Meter measurements from the UK and a few other

places.

It only reports on sky brightness, not other site amenities.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Isee Dark Skies is also worldwide. I've taken a look at the site you posted and it seems to be tied to a commercial product and with a slightly different purpose to Isee Dark Skies.

Thanks for posting though, its interesting to discover similar sites, before I built Isee Dark Skies I did spend some time searching and couldn't find anything similar.

Cheers,

Grant

True, Pete, but it relies on buying the brightness meter in order to measure the brightness and enter it into the site.

Pretty limiting IMO.

And there is no other information you can enter about the location either.

Is there anybody else out there who has some dark sites to add? The site hasn't been added to in awhile and it'd be a shame if it dies because I think this could be really useful to people :lol:

I've added my location - maybe you need to remane the site to "isee verybright skies"

:lol:

Ant

Awesome! Some great pictures there too :lol: