Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

which one

nick w

hello people a i am new here and have a simple question having had small practice scopes i am looking to up grade i have looked in detail at many different types of scope but arived at the desision for my budget (around £150-£200) between the meade2114ats or the sky watcher explorer 150 p eq3 the mead has computerized tracking but i am not to bothered about that so require help from you experts . I am open to sugestion other than these 2 and if anyone has similar for sale i would be very interested to hear from you all advice greatfully received many thanks :rolleyes:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you keep posting on SGL once you hit 50 posts you can access the "for sale/wanted" thread

Say hello to fellow members in the "welcome" thread you'll soon hit 50 lol

I would recommend a DOB. Its easy to use just point and look.. And you'll also get the most mirror for your money as you aint forking out on a mount.

Have a look at the SW Skyliner 150p or if you can push.. Look at the SW Skyliner 200p. Both fantastic scopes.

But saying that.. What is the main purpose of your new scope ie. DSO's Planets etc etc.. And if you want to dive into the crazy world Astrophotography ..

Not 100% sure of the price but the 150PL seems to be one of the best options. Reasonable aperture and being slightly longer it is more tolerant of collimation and eyepieces.

Have a search of the main retailers and see what they have on offer.

By the way you will eventually want a set of motors as they make locating and tracking easier, even if not the full goto option.

Hi, Nick, and welcome to the forum.

I know deciding on a first scope is enough to drive anyone round the bend, but we all have to do it, and you won't find a better place for advice, from real experts :eek: And I certainly don't mean me :rolleyes:

For my two-pennorth, I think the 150 is likely to be a better long-term buy, and is on a decent mount for the budget - not sure that you will do it for £150- 200, though.

Good luck with the choice

Hi Nick , from one newbie to another welcome.

I have just bought a Skywatcher 130P EQ2 and am very happy with it. The mount was a bit strange to use at first ended getting my arms in knots but soon got the hang of it. I have fitted and used the motor a couple of times without any difficulty. Fitting the scope to the mount and balancing is straightforward.

When choosing to by a scope I considered a goto mount, but thought that would not help me find my way round the sky, just pressing a button and go. Doing it manualy I think is the best way to learn the skys. Hope this helps.

well its a done deal bought the sky watcher for £180 six months old and with an extra eyepiece which cost £65 very happy with the deal and really cant wait till tonight hopeing its a clear one thanks again for the advice and serching this site i found much more very usefull advice and help

Archived