Viewing height of (Ro-Ro observatory) Scope

As I enthusiastically set about commissioning my new roll-on, rolloff, observatory, an immediate constraint emerges: The walls are ~6 foot high! For the scope to simply, "see over them", requires the altitude (it's an alt-azimuth mount) axis to be set at approx. my eye level! Admittedly, I'm a tad short in stature (5'7"), but I was just casually wondering...

I notice most advertisements for fork mounted catadiopteric scopes feature "models", who'd (at least!) need to stand on a Beer Crate, to reach the eyepiece! Is this the norm? Right now, I've decided to jack up my tripods and pillar (plus extension) with brick columns to get a (variable) horizon of 10-30 deg... :rolleyes:

Thanks guys. :rolleyes: Glad there was an appreciation of the problem!

I think, in retrospect, I might have, more actively, considered a (more!) lower (or lowering!) walls. I have a tame "brickie" (mate) coming round this afternoon to do some raising activities! I think it is something for folks to consider though... :eek:

I may yet post a picture, for collective merriment. :)

It's always a consideration with a RoRo design.

I have the 12" Lx200 mounted on a "cut down" HD tripod/wedge in an Argos Tin Shed observatory 8' x 6' and I've positioned the scope so that the roof (with no mods) JUST clears the top of the guide scope on the OTA.... sure, it doesn't let me get down to the horizon but there's nothing to see there other than streetlights and neighbours houses. A compromise...yes...but still worth it.

Details here:

http://ukastroimaging.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=40174.0

It's always a consideration with a RoRo design.

I have the 12" Lx200 mounted on a "cut down" HD tripod/wedge in an Argos Tin Shed observatory 8' x 6' and I've positioned the scope so that the roof (with no mods) JUST clears the top of the guide scope on the OTA.... sure, it doesn't let me get down to the horizon but there's nothing to see there other than streetlights and neighbours houses. A compromise...yes...but still worth it.

Details here:

Argos 8 x6 tin shed option

Heheh - Put it down to "first night nerves"? Or Indeed, look at it as a compromise! The (now) luxury of being out of the perennial Welsh wind, with somewhere to store all this bloomin' stuff... to spread out... :)

For various reasons, I didn't want to get into the central pier (big hole!) thing - I still have quite reasonable tripods and a (Skywatcher) Pillar. Adequate for "visual", or Watec stuff, I sense. :)

So, BRICKS it is then. :rolleyes:

The various scopes will be just below ceiling, and the limiting view coincidental (mainly) with neighbours' ridge tiles! Y'right tho': With the door shut, roof rolled back, there is/was nothing to quite equal the peace and quiet... Even during the day? Heck, got quite emotional for a moment... :eek:

Archived