SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dark Skies near Newcastle Upon Tyne

Hi there, I'm new to astronomy and have recently purchased an 8in Skywatcher dob. I've been using it in the garden but get the usual light pollution problems. Can anyone recommend anywhere with darker skies near Newcastle Upon Tyne (preferably nearer the coast - East) or in south Northumberland that I can go that is not trespassing but I can park near so that I can carry my gear?

Thanks for any help, Marty

Hi, I am a complete newbie myself. Not even got my scope yet but was worried about the same issue of light pollution. Then I read about light pollution filters. Could be worth a shot. Skywatcher to cheap enough ones on FLO

Look at this thread for the difference.

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/71126-skywatcher-lpr-filter-vs-baader-neodymium-filter.html

And here to purchase the skywatcher one

Light Pollution Reduction

Can anyone recommend anywhere with darker skies near Newcastle Upon Tyne (preferably nearer the coast - East) or in south Northumberland that I can go

Newcastle is very bad .. Those nice people at Newcastle Astro. Soc. will have the best information: newcastle_astro : Newcastle upon Tyne Astronomical Society

Newcastle's regular club meeting for observing is Vallum Farm - 10miles west where it gets really quite dark

Or Northumberland (NASTRO): - NASTRO (too far away from me)

Druridge bay is cosidered relatively good I think - the mass street lighting starts dying out there. If you don't want to go far - the Town Moor and Gosforth Park have been mentioned as 'better' spots close in - but everything is relative.

HTH

Rob

Archived