SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Shuttle Launch Cleared to go in 18 mins

brantuk

Did anyone else see a big piece of foam break away and hit the underside of the shuttle. I checked again on youtube and that`s what it looks like, at 4mins and 44sec.

I hope everything will be ok.

Yeah i saw a couple of bits fall away and instantly though "0MG" . I dont think they impacted the shuttle underbelly

though.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Kev - for some reason I thought it was Fri today lol - post ammended :rolleyes:

you weren't wrong BranUK, there is a pass Friday evening but much lower in the sky

Appears 18h43m57s 3.7mag az:226.1° SW horizon

Culmination 18h47m39s -0.4mag az:155.9° SSE h:19.5°

distance: 630.3km height above Earth: 236.6km elevation of sun: -10°

Disappears 18h48m36s -0.3mag az:120.2° ESE h:15.0°

If it is clear on sat evening. How is the best way to view it ?

Also I will be at work. Will it be visible with naked eye or some 10x50 binos ?

The STS will have a -0.4mag so should easily be visible with the naked eye and the ISS @ -2.6mag very bright. You should be able to track it with 10x50 binos

They will check the underbelly and wing tiles very carefully for damage - it's a major part of the drill now and I believe they have repair capability for some types of damage.

Some IT guy must have been under pressure to get that down range computer working !

Frantically switching it off and on again :rolleyes:

They will check the underbelly and wing tiles very carefully for damage - it's a major part of the drill now and I believe they have repair capability for some types of damage.

Frantically switching it off and on again :rolleyes:

"Hello this is the NASA IT help line. You are trying to launch what? with our computers !"

heard off line

"Hey Fred we've got a real nutter on the helpline"

an update on the expected viewing times posted above, the latest TLE elements on Heavens-Above and Calsky aren't aligned at the moment but the saturday pass now appears to be much lower on the horizon that I originally posted.

Best advice, keep checking the websites for latest info right up to the expected pass times.

Archived