SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Coventry

Canyouguesswhoitisyet

Hello All.

I have been lurking on this site for a few months now reading so many threads. I am a newbe and yes anther victim of the "Brian Cox effect!" I had a scope as a young boy not that it was any good mind but now in my late 30s its time to re-kindle the interest.

I am about to purchase from FLO a 130P EQ2 Skywatcher and a light pollution filter. It has taken me months to get to this decision and what I have read on here and advice received from FLO have got me to the purchase point. I was close to buying a supertak auto 130P (Not Goto) but have been put off. Advice is to get the EQ2 learn the ropes and if I like it I can always add a motor. I just liked the idea of the Autotrak. Ease of setup also is a consideration. I am thinking with the EQ2 mount if I leave it setup and store in my shed its not like I would be faffing about with it everytime I came to use it.

If anyone could advise to the benefits of the Autotrak I would be interested to here as I have not made my purchase yet.

I have also been told that the autotrak is not good for long exposure photography. Not that I am into that side of astronomy ....yet I would like to buy a scope that is a bit future proof so if I did get into photography then at least I would have the right mount for it.

So hello all, thanks for your help even know you did not know about it (lurking on the forum) It seems a great place to be and know doubt I will be posting on here a lot soon with all them stupid newbe questions.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the lounge - as a fellow Coventrian (and in the same boat - new kit and just waiting for that first clear sky) -we may get lucky tonight, beautiful clear skies at the moment, so fingers crossed ! I'm in exile up in N. Warwicks at the moment, and though surrounded by fields and woodland, you wouldn't believe the light pollution up here

Hi Ralph

I think you may be right about tonight however I do not have my kit yet. Was hoping to buy and receive before the weekend as I knew the weather may be good this weekend. However I carried on researching too much into "should I buy" "should I not buy" and so on. Sometimes I think my missus is right when she comes home from town with bags of rubbish holds them up and says "impulse buys :-) "

Thanks for the hellos, I am hoping the skys in Eastern green Cov are not that light polluted!

Hi again 'Canyou' - skies clouded over at dusk, still no first light !! Perhaps you will change my luck when your kit arrives - used to live in eastern green, so light pollution could be a prob - a filter or 2 should help to cure that though

Ralph

Hi and welcome to the forum

The mount (equatorial) is about the only real piece of kit that you can effectively future proof against different interests be they visual or imaging. Scopes that are great at for visual don't necessarily translate well against the demands of imaging and in addition, the actual design of a scope, say a refractor, which is great for planets, double stars etc is not necessarily the best choice for deep sky. There is no 'one' scope or kit configuration that does it all I afraid but what is important is to buy the best you can afford, even if it means putting off a purchase until you can save that little bit extra for a little bit more aperture.

Clear skies

James

Archived