Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Powering Dual-axis Motors

I 've purchased a set of Skywatcher dual-axis motors for my CG-5 mount and want a more reliable power supply than the little 4 x D-cell pack that comes with it. Obviously the system is six volt rather than the twelve of a goto system. My question is, has anyone succesfully used a twelve-volt supply (e.g.a car boost starter system) with a plug-in 12 - 6 volt converter.

On paper it looks ok but is there any particular risk to the hand-set?

Thanks

I use gel cell batteries...but when I had the EQ5 (6V) I made up two options: use the 12V to 6V transformer from Maplins - worked as advertised (I now use it to power a USB hub) and I also added a voltage regulator IC (can't remember the # off hand) but it neatly fitted inside the cigar plug body -giving a 6V output. This was MUCH cheaper!!!

I had to paint that particular plug bright red to remind me it was 6V and only for use on the EQ5.

HTH

My older Maplins Powertank had 6v and 9v outputs, as well as the 12v socket. Which was dead handy but the new Powertank has just one 12v output.

That said, i bought some expensive D Cell batteries for the battery pack last spring and they lasted 7 months. The EQ5 probably didn't get that much use over that 7 month period though.

I use gel cell batteries...but when I had the EQ5 (6V) I made up two options: use the 12V to 6V transformer from Maplins - worked as advertised (I now use it to power a USB hub) and I also added a voltage regulator IC (can't remember the # off hand) but it neatly fitted inside the cigar plug body -giving a 6V output. This was MUCH cheaper!!!

I had to paint that particular plug bright red to remind me it was 6V and only for use on the EQ5.

HTH

Thanks for the help, guys. I suspect the regulated plug-in power supply I've bought should work fine.

I'll let you know.

Archived