Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Berlebach Tripod Query

I am considering purchasing a Berlebach tripod and I've printed out and studied their catalogue and "quite like the look of" the Report range, which are also more reasonably priced compared to the (heavier and stronger) UNI range which could be "overkill".

Would these "work well" with my WO Megrez 90 and a Tele-Optic Giro 3 single arm mount with (balancing) counter-weight set up ?

If so, which, out of these 3 models would members recommend ?

2072 - Max height 111cm - Max load 20kg

3072 - Max height 135cm - Max load 18kg

4072 - Max height 162cm - Max load 15KG.

All would (well) carry my load, so presumably it is best to go for max height i.e. the 4072 ?

I am 6'1''.

Any advice / comments gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Well. The 4072 might fit your height, but the 3072 would give that bit more security.

I just missed out on a 3072 last month. The seller wanted only 40 GBP for it!!!

Arrrrgh.

They are nice tripods. Very solid.

I just missed out on a 3072 last month. The seller wanted only 40 GBP for it!!!
Including woodworm? :rolleyes: Sounds a suspiciously low price to me.
They are nice tripods. Very solid.

I agree ... I have a Planet under my HEQ5 & it's so much better than the standard steel pipe leg effort ... a bit heavier but damps vibration much, much faster & the sharp steel points at the leg ends make accurate placement of the tripod a cinch.

I've had 3 Berlebachs. The first was an older UNI 5 bought on Ebay that was the same height as the current UNI 4. A year or so ago Scopes n' skies was doing UNI18's at very good prices but I see they no longer have any in stock. I had one briefly but then as I was going to a heavier mount, and the £ strengthened a bit against the Euro, I took the plunge and bought a Planet. The other options for that capacity, a Losmandy G11 tripod or a Meade Giant are much heavier than the Planet. The Berlebachs are not cheap but they are really well made and the wooden construction makes them a lot more pleasant to handle in the cold.

If you have any thoughts of imaging or increasing your load you might want to consider the UNI instead of the Report. The quoted capacity for the Reports is not high, and becomes less the taller they are. Use of the tray gives them a bit more stability/weight capacity, as does extending the legs as little as possible.

I've had 3 Berlebachs. The first was an older UNI 5 bought on Ebay that was the same height as the current UNI 4. A year or so ago Scopes n' skies was doing UNI18's at very good prices but I see they no longer have any in stock. I had one briefly but then as I was going to a heavier mount, and the £ strengthened a bit against the Euro, I took the plunge and bought a Planet. The other options for that capacity, a Losmandy G11 tripod or a Meade Giant are much heavier than the Planet. The Berlebachs are not cheap but they are really well made and the wooden construction makes them a lot more pleasant to handle in the cold.

If you have any thoughts of imaging or increasing your load you might want to consider the UNI instead of the Report. The quoted capacity for the Reports is not high, and becomes less the taller they are. Use of the tray gives them a bit more stability/weight capacity, as does extending the legs as little as possible.

Thanks for the informative reply - appreciated. I was considering a UNI 28, but was told by someone on CN that it would be "complete overkill" for my set up - what do you think ? I will not be imaging and the only possible (distant!) future upgrade would be to a 100 to 120mm refractor. My present set-up is about 5.0 kg (max) plus a (balancing) 4.0 kg couterweight - "say" about 9 kg in total "top wack"

Cheers.

Sorry but cannot comment on your particular query but agree with the comments above regarding how well made these tripods are. I bought one a few years ago to mount an ETX 150 and it has worked very well. Looks wise, wood and aluminium are chalk and cheese. These tripods are very well made and i don’t think they are expensive for what you get. Although I haven’t looked at their prices for a while now, when I bought mine it was much cheaper to buy direct from Germany than through a UK dealer. Also, I got the wooden shelf that fits underneath – think they came in two sizes – and it just finishes the whole thing off.

Good luck

Cleetus

If you are going to upgrade to a 4 or 5" Apo in the future then definitely buy a UNI28.

I have a 5" Apo on a GPDX/UNI28 combo and it just manages.

A UNI28 will give excellent stability with your current setup and allow you to upgrade in the future. They look really good too.

Archived