SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Camera Advice

junior

Hi

unfortunatly for me my laptop is broken and unlikely to be repaired unless i can get my hands on a new screen. I am looking to take a few photos in the future once i am used to my scope and im sure you can guess im a complete novice at astronomy.

As my laptop is broken a webcam would be out of the question unless its wireless and can reach a signifcant distance to my main PC.

My question is do i require a DSLR camera or would something as basic as a fuji film finepix be ok for first attempts at pictures?

Forgot to add that im looking start at imaging the moon then move on to planets but that wont be for some time yet.

Many thanks

It is quite feasable to image with the Finepix using the Afocal method, and even a mobile phone camera has produced some splendid images.

You will be restricted to the moon and brighter planets , Jupiter, Saturn. Venus.

Simply hold the camera lens to the eyepiece of your telescope, and focus until you get a sharp image in the camera viewfinder.

You need a steady hand though, and there are adapters that allow the camera to be fixed to the telescope to make life easier.

Ron.

Archived