SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ADVICE NEEDED ON mEADE 5000 SWA 34MM IPIECE

Hi I recently bought a Meade 5000 34mm super wide angle ipiece.

I am not sure if it is working or not upto Meade,s usual high standards of manufacture.

The Meade 5000 SWA 34mm fits into the usual 2 inch diagonal, you can turn the ipiece in the diagonal so that the rubber eyepiece cover turns up and or down so you can alter the distance from your eyeball to the ipiece lense.

On my other Meade 5000 16, 24mm SWA ipieces the turning of the ipiece barrel is VERY smooth and firm, also you can see some grease Meade put onto the ipiece barrel at manufacture.

The Meade SWA 34mm ipiece I bought had no grease on the barrel and the turning motion is not smooth and firm like my other 2 Meade 5000 SWA ipieces, it feels loose.

I guess I need some advice from someone that has used the Meade SWA 5000 34mm or 40mm 2 inch ipieces.

Also on this Meade 5000 SWA 34mm ipiece I bought when you turn the rubber ipiece barrel up anti-clockwise the view through the ipiece lense goes from the wide FOV to a very small viewing hole.Similar to a camera lense, My other 2 Meade 5000 SWA ipieces also do this but only a very little bit, this Meade SWA 5000 34mm closes down alot, is this normal for the 34mm and 40mm Meade SWA range?

Thanks for any help.:)

Hi Mobi - I have both 24mm/1.25" and 34mm/2" Meade 5000 SWA's - With regards to "smoothness" when rotating the eypiece, they're both pretty much the same (smooth yet firm).

Regarding views through the 34mm, as you've noted, rotating the eyepiece raises the rubber (which of course means that when looking down it, you then also see the edge of the eyepiece itself below) but on my MN190, I've never had it close down to a very small hole as you've described... :) In fact, my first view of the double cluster (x30) with it was something I shall never forget :o

What scope are you using it on? I've heard that with some scopes you can get a "tunnelling" effect with some eyepieces (but I'm afraid I don't know the science behind the problem...)

Hi again Mobi - I was just having a quick scan around the boards and found this thread on a TV 3.7mm review:

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-lunar-solar/130858-3-7mm-ethos-review-conclusion-lunar-observing-apollo-12-14-landing-sites-ext.html

There's an explanation on here of something that may be relevant to what you're seeing?

Hi Mobi - I have both 24mm/1.25" and 34mm/2" Meade 5000 SWA's - With regards to "smoothness" when rotating the eypiece, they're both pretty much the same (smooth yet firm).

My experience mirrors Andy's. I had the 20mm and 34mm SWA, both operated exactly the same. Smooth but firm action to the eyeguard. And the view of M31 though a 12" dob from a dark site was one of my best ever since starting the hobby.

Archived