SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cloudy with a chance of streetlights...

Mak One

Hello from a soggy and cloudy corner of the Mendip Hills (I bought a new webcam recently so I’ve only myself to blame - the new kit curse strikes again!). After lurking around the forum for a while now, gleaning the excellent (and very friendly) advice on offer I’ve decided it is time to join the fray.

The good folks at FLO supplied my kit and first light was last July (gulp!). Since then I’ve been taking whatever opportunities I can to get out and enjoy the skies, frequently hampered by cloud and seasonally hampered by streetlights (do they secretly multiply as soon as you buy a ‘scope?). In fact, I’m faced with the bizarre frustration of my garden being lighter in the winter than the summer, as currently there are no leaves on the trees to block the streetlights out. I can feel a filter coming on…

Anyway, I’ve found the Skymax 150 Pro is excellent. Packed it all up and took it to West Wales last August. Lovely and dark, 3 clear nights on the bounce and my first “live” view of Jupiter. “WOW!” doesn’t even scratch the surface of my reaction to this and, well, everything else I’ve seen since. The CG5-GT is great, capable and steady, even though I get the urge for a coffee during slewing. Can’t imagine why…? :)

Anyway, I hope to raise a steaming mug to clear skies again soon…

Mak One

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks James.:) If the curse is universal and given how busy FLO have been recently shifting kit out of the door to all and sundry I'm expecting the weather to clear around about 2012... (and I don't mean just after 10 past 8!)

Although if Prof. Cox's imminent series has the same effect it might be even longer...:o

Hi Mak One and welcome to the forum.

Am I right in assuming that your avatar is your own work? Trying to get those red arrows crossing over at just the right moment is a tricky image to capture. Remember being with a lot of Dutch photographers trying to snap this and it was such a laugh with some of us getting very close but never quite nailing it. Apologies if the image you have used is not your own - you'll probably be thinking I've gone mad with what I've just been talking about!

Clear skies soon

James

Hi Mak One and welcome to the forum.

Am I right in assuming that your avatar is your own work? Trying to get those red arrows crossing over at just the right moment is a tricky image to capture. Remember being with a lot of Dutch photographers trying to snap this and it was such a laugh with some of us getting very close but never quite nailing it. Apologies if the image you have used is not your own - you'll probably be thinking I've gone mad with what I've just been talking about!

Clear skies soon

James

Yes, all my own handiwork. Inspired by shots I'd seen from guys on the Mach loop in Wales. Lucky enough to get a spot close the centre line at Fairford last year and was trying out a new Oly 70-300 lens and e620 combo (with image stabilisation - thank goodness). Put it in "burst" mode and got lucky.:o Thought I'd taken about 500 or so shots all in all. Got home to find it was +1700..!:)

Stargazing and airshows. I must find a non-weather dependent hobby...

Nice Hurricane BTW - your pic too?

Cracking photo.

I took a hired 100-400 IS lens on my Canon 40D to RAF Leuchars.

My left forearm looked like Popeye's by the end of the day. (must remember the monopod next time :))

But I got some great shot of the last flying Vulcan and down to the final six in a competition they ran.

Oh and don't worry about bringing the cloud....I'll swap you for fog and drizzle !

Hi there. Welcome to SGL. The "coffee grinder" seems to get a bit of stick but it ain't that loud and I've been pleased with it - albeit with very little chances to try it thanks to the lack of...

Clear Skies

Archived