Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep2_banner.thumb.jpg.e37c929f88100393e885b7befec4c749.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
sarahb

Polos in the sky?

This morning I went out about 4.30, lovely views of the moon and one star in sight; I focused in on the star to see a lighht emitting polo with a dark/black centre.

OK, ok - my son and better half have taken the micky - can anyone explain what I saw?

Sounds like a halo, but without more info can't be sure. If you are using a reflector it could have been out of focus and you saw your secondary obstruction....

If everthing else was in focus, it could have been a planetary nebula. Its when dust from a star has been blown out into the space around a star (confusingly they a nothing to do with planets).

Vega is above the horizon at that time and still ahead of the sun - M57? Maybe with just pure good luck and good skies.

Anthony

The moon was in focus and I played around with the focus on the 'polo' and was sure that it was ok - I'll try to have another look tomorrow morning around the same time - if clouds allow

the moon was not in the ep at the same time - just meant that Im sure I can focus - I'll hopefully take another look in the morning. :D

Do you know roughly where you were looking?

My guess would be planetary nebula, and you had a lucky find! :D

Does happen.

Ant

Hi. Sarah,

At that time the moon would be very low in the Eastern sky. There were two planetary nebulas south west of the moon. These would be very faint objects and probably not what you saw.

The likeliest candidate would have been Jupiter, which would have risen, and would be trailing the moon in the Eastern dawn sky. You would have to have a clear unobstructed view to have seen it. If it was Jupiter you caught in your eyepiece, it would not have to far out of focus to look like a polo.

All this is pure conjecture, so as you said , a further look is needed.

It's nice to see you observing at such an early hour of the morning. You will one day perhaps discover your own comet.

Wouldn't that be nice.

Best of Luck.

Barkis. :D