Narrowband

Polos in the sky?

This morning I went out about 4.30, lovely views of the moon and one star in sight; I focused in on the star to see a lighht emitting polo with a dark/black centre.

OK, ok - my son and better half have taken the micky - can anyone explain what I saw?

Hi. Sarah,

At that time the moon would be very low in the Eastern sky. There were two planetary nebulas south west of the moon. These would be very faint objects and probably not what you saw.

The likeliest candidate would have been Jupiter, which would have risen, and would be trailing the moon in the Eastern dawn sky. You would have to have a clear unobstructed view to have seen it. If it was Jupiter you caught in your eyepiece, it would not have to far out of focus to look like a polo.

All this is pure conjecture, so as you said , a further look is needed.

It's nice to see you observing at such an early hour of the morning. You will one day perhaps discover your own comet.

Wouldn't that be nice.

Best of Luck.

Barkis. :D

Archived