stargazine_ep38_banner.thumb.jpg.6fe20536a22b28c17b2ee1818650993c.jpg

Hi from London

Hi,

As per usual I jumped into forums asking questions without saying hello properly,

so formally “Hello”

I suspect like a lot of members here I was interested in astronomy when I was younger and somehow lost interest in it. Now I’m middle aged I have more time on my hands to indulge myself and this is one of the many things which I always wanted to do.

At the moment I’m just starting off simply with binoculars getting a feel for where the constellations are and what to see in them after I feel more comfortable with that I will delve into the world of telescopes.

I see my function here as to ask lots of stupid questions and offering half baked opinions which don’t stand up to scrutiny – isn’t that what the internet is for :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi thunderbird like you I'm just using Binos at the moment, great way to learn the sky prior to looking at scopes. I've found simply reading the discussions on SGL about the pros and cons of various scopes really useful, all filed away for when I start looking at them myself.

Hello and welcome to SGL forum. I am also returning to the subject that I followed avidly a s a teenager and am returning to having recently retired. I cannot believe how few cloudless nights we have had since Christmas! Frustrating. :)

I see my function here as to ask lots of stupid questions and offering half baked opinions which don’t stand up to scrutiny – isn’t that what the internet is for :)

Hi T-bird,

You certainly aren't alone, I've been here 18 months or more and I'm still offering half baked opinion and asking rather dim Qs.

I'ts good here, plenty of well smart folk to nurse us along, I've learned heaps already, but my gawd there's so much in the universe isn't there?

Welcome to SGL! :o

Hi Thunderbird and welcome to SGL :)

Hope you find the answers here are a little less half baked than you've experienced elsewhere. There's some quite knowledgeable folk on SGL only too willing to help you get going. Learning the sky with binocs is a great start :o

Hi Thunderbird, welcome to the Lounge.

Binoculars are great tools to have even when you get a scope. Google George Alcock, he discovered comets and supernova with a pair of binoculars, one allegedly through his skylight window. An amazing feat considering the amount of sky he had committed to memory to be able to do this.

Hi and welcome to SGL

There's normally a queue here for asking stupid questions.......

and an even bigger queue of helpful people willing to answer them !

Better to ask (especially before a purchase) rather than buy something you don't need.

Neil