Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dust storm on Mars

Astroman

There's a dust storm currently visible on Mars. All you imagers should get right on it. It's travelling west to east and somewhat south, but close to the equator and growing. Hopefully, it won't obscure the details of the entire planet as did the one in 2003 for over a month!

Thanks for the Info Astroman as soon as these clouds dissipate i will get some images done, i remember observing the dust storms of 2003 although they ruined the view of the Planets surface is was still amazing to think we can observe weather patterns on Mars..

One observation i have noted is with Mars at the moment there's is a Blue Hue to the North near the Pole, any ideas what this is Astroman or anyone else?

James

Those are clouds, James. Much like fog here on Earth, they form over the poles and mountains. If you look close on the eastern side of Mars where the Sun rises, you can see some there, too. This is where a blue filter works. It brings out the clouds. Check it out!

When were these images taken, James? Specifically, the last one.

As for clouds, I'd say no, they don't look entirely lifelike, as it were. Clouds appear as small, variable patches that change from hour to hour, as they do here. Not widespread, as the one near the south pole in these images. More like the subtle hues near the left edge, but smaller generally.

The dust storm appears to obscure details normally seen. Much like the very center of the center image of the triple above. That's most likely seeing in this case, but it's what happens-details seen elsewhere are missing. Watch for it, keep imaging, and maybe you'll catch it in the act.

When were these images taken, James? Specifically, the last one.

It was taken at around 3.30am GMT on the 15th of October this year... The seeing was as good as it get's from my Location 8/10 seeing no clouds or mist...

Those blue hue's look rather big dont they to be clouds lol.. Funny thing is i observed these in two differant Telescopes ie: The 8" reflector and 127Mak using differant eyepiece's and a Contrast filter at times.

Thanks Astroman i will be keeping a Keen eye out for the Clouds and Dust storm.

James :)

Heres more on the storm:

There's a huge dust storm sweeping across Mars, big enough to see through backyard telescopes. Amateur astronomers have been monitoring it for days. Last night, Joel Warren of Amarillo, Texas, was photographing the storm when he noticed something odd: Mars is turning green.

"Yellow dust clouds are mixing with [icy-blue] morning clouds to create greenish clouds," he explains. Warren is an experienced nightly photographer of Mars. "I'm quite sure [about the green color]," he says.

Dust storms are an important form of Martian weather. Sometimes they grow to envelop the whole planet!

http://www.spaceweather.com/

Archived