Skywatcher 200p

After seeing the size of this thing I have a quick question about dismantling and storing it. After setting it up for the first time is it easy enough to remove the scope from the mount and take it indoors and vice versa? Or is it best to leave it on the mount as much as possible?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Brian.

If I'm at home I keep my 200P in the shed, less cool down time that way. I leave the tripod and mount set up but detach the scope (2 screws) and then the weights. :)

I wouldn't recommend leaving it fully set up all the time as you could be putting extra pressure on the mount especially if you have not balanced it all properly.

That's great, thanks folks. I don't own the scope yet but will be ordering it in a few weeks time and hadn't actually seen a picture of someone with it until just recently! Quite large it is!

Time to have a clear out and make some space.

Thanks, Brian.

HI, good choice on your first scope, I have the exact same one and am loveing it :eek:

You did not state on your post which mount you have gone for, is it a dobsonian mount (like mine) or a EQ mount like a lot of peoples above?

Don't suppose it matters that much but if I had a EQ mount I would remove when not in use, mainly for the reason described above. On the other hand if it is a dob mount, then you could just leave it attached, it only sits on 4 plastic/rubber mounts and gets secured via the handles, so really won't put any pressure on anything.

Personnaly, I am going to detach mine and store it horizontaly on a work bench in the garage.

Ohhh before I forget, a bit of advice, buy a collimator. I have had my scope for 2 weeks, checked it for the 1st time last night (with Baz seniors help) and it was way off, by about 20mm which is a lot. I have not knocked it so must of been in transit. :rolleyes:

All we need now are clear skys - enjoy!

Hi Brian,

I have the same scope (took delivery 12th Feb), I find it awkward fitting the scope onto the mount due to its size I think. I have therefore made a small mod to make this easier.

I purchased two 25cm wooden embriodary rings, made a single cut in both inner rings, lined these with draught excluder and positioned them on the tube against the outside of the original tube rings. I then tightened te outer part on the embriodary rings over the inners just enough to hold them in place without being able to slip.

I can now set the tube horizontal with the original tube rins at the top , undo the rings and saftly lift the tube out leaving the tube rings on the mount. When replacing the embroidary rings ensure the the tube is set back in the correct position - no need to rebalance tube.

This also gives me the ability to rotate the tube to allow the focuser and viewfinder sit in a position for easy use.

Hope this is of interest for you.

We are talking about two different scopes here folks - it would be helpful if the original poster could confirm whether it's the 8" F/6 dobsonian (either in it's solid tube or flextube format) or the 8" F/5 equatorially mounted version he is interested in. In both cases the tube and mount can be quickly dismounted / mounted but the EQ mounts do take up more storage space than the dobsonian bases.

Likewise the "embroidery rings" trick is not needed with dobsonian as the eyepiece stays in the same position on the tube with that.

For me, I store the OTA in a wardrobe in the bedroom, along with the weights and accessory tray. The tripod with the mount attached us rested in an alcove next to the wardrobe. I attach the OTA via the dovetail screws, leaving the rings on the scope

as far as i can tell this is a brillliant scope. im fairly new to this so iv only had it just over a month now but so far so good.

very easy to mount and dismount, only thing is i find is the eq head to be a little heavy on the eq5 mount,

but that could just be me because i tend to leave the weights attached when i dismount it.

Archived