SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Bit about us

robbiew1971

Hi there folks, welcome to SGL.

I have a TAL 2x and an Orion Shorty 2x, I can honestly say that they are very good. The TAL I bought new for about 30 or so earth quidses, the shorty was an ebay find, about 20 notes inc. postage iirc.

Try searching fleabay again, with this in mind. there is a nice looking revelation one, however I have just noticed that it is 2" fitting...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rob and Sophie,

Welcome to SGL from one newbie to another. You will get great advice from here, they are a really helpful bunch.

From Devizes just down the road and Chatham - Frank is from Salisbury. There is a group called SPOG - Salisbury Plain Observing Group - on here that you might want to join.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Rob & Sophie - welcome from me too!

I can vouch for the TAL barlows too.

Also agree with the sentiments above - the barlow isn't the be all and end all so take your time. Personally, as another beginner, I get a huge amount of please from more wide field observation - star clusters, galaxies, nebula and so on so enjoy using the EPs you already have for now if we get any clear skies!

A 2x barlow on your 25mm EP will give you an effective 12.5mm EP - this is too close to the 10mm to give any useful difference at this stage. 2x barlowing the 10mm EP will give you effectively a 5mm EP; this is approaching the maximum useful magnification on your scope and will be of most use for looking at planets, binary stars and other narrow field objects - to get the best out of this you will really need good, clear nights and your 10mm will still clearly show, say, Jupiter and its moons (you just wont get much surface detail).

Hope this helps,

James.

Archived