Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

robbiew1971

A Bit about us

Hi All,

I know we have posted on here already but i thought we would introduce ourselves. Im rob and i am from salisbury,wiltshire,uk, and drive HGV artics for tesco , well, one stop, who are owned by them anyway. My daughter is sophia aged 9 and she is the one who has started this :o, she asked for the telescope for xmas shocking me and my wife lol, never knew she was that into space etc. I myself have always been interested but never more than watching Nat Geo on sky :(, we have got the bug now but havent had a clear sky for about 2 weeks :), have sourced a barlow lens on ebay but at 10 quid is it decent enough ???. Anyway, thats us, look forward to getting to know you all ;)

Hi,

I'm afraid £10 won't buy a decent eyepiece or barlow to be honest, unless the seller is letting a decent one go really cheap !.

The TAL barlows are pretty good and cost £35 new.

What scope are you going to use it with and what other eyepieces do you already have ?.

Edited by John

Hi John,

I havent bidded on it yet as i thought it was a bit cheap, dont want to waste money on rubbish, my scope is a celestron 80 gtl which is computerised, we currently only have a 25mm and a 10mm eyepiece. cheers

Hi Rob and Sophia

Welcome to the lounge:)

Used to drive trucks myself but on the building now. this cloud is getting kinda depressing aint it:(

As John said, i would imagine a Barlow for £10 will be a bit ropey. You wanna stretch the purse strings a bit more to get something a bit better.

Regards Steve

Hi Steve,

I pass through ripley most weeks as we deliver to the one stop on the high street there, i think on advice i am going to look for something a bit more expensive as im sure the quality will be better, thanks for the advice

Hi All,

I know we have posted on here already but i thought we would introduce ourselves. Im rob and i am from salisbury,wiltshire,uk, and drive HGV artics for tesco

Welcome to SGL Rob & Sophia

Im sure at some stage of my "trucking life" ive been stuck behind you on an A road at the speed limit when im trying to get there and back on one card :):D:D

Dave

Hi to both of you :)

You've come to the right place. It's always nice making good decisions :(

When you say the barlow on fleabay was £10 is that a buy it now price or it's current bidding? If it's an auction the price is meaningless, really, as it could end up higher.

What's it called? It would be a better indication :o

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum.

No need to rush any purchase given the state of the weather! Take your time and ask what ever questions you want to and we'll do our best to help. There are bargains to be had, its just knowing what you want.

Clear skies

James

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum.

No need to rush any purchase given the state of the weather! Take your time and ask what ever questions you want to and we'll do our best to help. There are bargains to be had, its just knowing what you want. :)

Clear skies

James

Hi Sy,

It says it is unbranded but good quality ??? and it is the buy it now price, i think i will leave it for now, anyone know of a good make to look out for, i have a limited budget but dont want to buy rubbish by mistake ??

Hi Sy,

It says it is unbranded but good quality ??? and it is the buy it now price, i think i will leave it for now, anyone know of a good make to look out for, i have a limited budget but dont want to buy rubbish by mistake ??

BIN at £10 will be nasty to be fair. James has hit the nail on the head...plenty of time to find what's good for you :)

Hi Rob and Sophia

warm welcome to SGL from nearby W Berks. - as everyone has said - don't rush in to buy stuff, but there are certainly better EP's around than the standard ones that came with your Celestron that won't cost an arm and a leg - I recently bought a Vixen NPL which I'm really pleased with

Meanwhile - Enjoy (when this dreary weather allows)

Edited by MorningMajor

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Looks like you and me are in the same boat with 9 yr old daughters getting us into this.....