SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ST102 (EQ1) or ST120 (AZ3)

I'll be happy to be corrected, but I reckon that if you don't want to "mess around" with the scope then there's no point in getting anything with an EQ mount because to track objects you'd need to sort the polar alignment (which is particularly a pain with the EQ1 because it lacks a polar scope). If you don't do the polar alignment you'll end up using it just like an alt-az, in which case you might as well have bought one in the first place.

If you must have a refractor I'd say go for the ST102 on an AZ3 mount and keep the money you save for buying some better eyepieces, a decent barlow, a moon filter, books, a red torch, a box to put everything in and all the other little bits and pieces you find you need. If you're not interested in the planets then you need your bumps felt :), but the CA won't be a significant issue on the moon anyhow as you don't need that much magnification to get a good view in the first place. I rarely go above 50x on the moon myself, partly because the seeing often isn't good enough anyhow. It's not like you can see Armstrong's footprints, either. If you try to magnify a lot of the Messier objects too much then you can't tell what they are anyhow.

James

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lw24. Please listen to the very good advice and opinions that other SGL members are giving. Many of us have owned several different scopes over the years. Some of our choices have been good, some not so good. Take advantage of our past purchases. I will repeat the recommendation to go into a scope shop, listen to the shopkeeper and handle some scopes. You don't have to buy.

You could also go to a local astro soc and talk to people there.

If you are still convinced that you are only looking at the original two choices, toss a coin to choose. If you don't like it, sell it. You will get back a reasonable proportion of the purchase price and your second scope will be a more informed choice.

I read somewhere that they need to be collimated every time you use them.

This is what was putting me off reflectors

Not at all. And the F5 scope are much more sensitive to collimation errors. I used to keep it in the garage and move it into the garden every time I wanted to use it and most of the time it would still be spot on. Even when slightly out it was still usable and you couldn't really tell the difference. The scope I suggested is F6.9 so will hold collimation even better, as long as you don't bang it about! If you take it along to you local astro club they would probably even help you do it!

As to the skymax 127, that's is really a planetary scope and not best for DSO's.

I agree with Steve.

I have a 10" LX200 that gives great views but has hardly had any use in the last 3 years because of the size and setting up while light only to have to bring it back in because the clouds roll in when it gets dark.

I have two small refractors that I can set up on a AZ4 mount in the house and carry out when clear night skies permit. This is why I understand the original post.

Got no astronomy clubs near me :)

Now im leaning towards a reflector.

Would this be a good package to purchase:

Skywatcher Skyliner 150p Dobsonian/Skywatcher Heritage 130p - £185/130 (First Light Optics)

Skywatcher Collimating Laser - £39.99 (Bristol Cameras)

That would total to £224.99/£169.99

The telescope I buy is dependant on this:

-How often would I need to collimate the 150p if I used it in my back garden once a week, and every two months transported it somewhere by car?

-How does the above compare to the 130p?

-Would I need something to cover the secondary mirror on the 130p?

-Would I need a table/stall for the 130p?

Cheers

The skyliner150p is f/8, so is quite tolerant of slight miscollimation. I'd think you'd have no trouble with it.

I'd probably stay away from the laser collimator and get (or make) a simple collimating cap or Cheshire collimator, the lasers are not as accurate unless they're also collimated, and not all of them can be adjusted- so take the easy option.

The Skyliner 150P is a lovely first scope and you will be able to see everything you asked for and more. Collimation is a doddle once you get the gist of it. Where abouts in the country are you? Perhaps someone could tell you which your 'local' astro soc would be?

Archived