sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Recommended motor drive?

ok sorry another noob question!

what would be the best and affordable motor drive I can get for my Skywatcher 150P? I've just bought a webcam so some planetary photography will be my next venture when the cloud clears and it's my birthday soon so an ideal time to request kit from the better half. :)

I believe they're model-specific as the gears on different models have different numbers (and perhaps sizes) of teeth and therefore need to be driven at different speeds to match the planet's speed of rotation.

That £79 FLO single-axis one is the cheapest I've seen.

James

I have exactly the same set up and will be getting the dual axis motor drive next month. My local astronomy shop sells them for £102 so I'm going to email him a copy of the FLO advert and see what he says..

He runs a price guarantee so hopefully I'll get it for £92. I can't wait as I am desperate to get some decent images of Saturn and Jupiter using my SPC900 but can't at the moment due to speed they move through the field of view.

Edited by Yidoboy

You could consider building a motor drive system if you like a technical project to play with? http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/104457-diy-tracking-drive.html#post1474208 That post is a bit old and crusty now, for example the step rate is not 4.8 seconds, rather there are 4.8 steps per second. I'm happy to help out if anything's not clear / just plain wrong in my ramblings :)

Note that this still isn't particularly cheap, once you add up all the components, but it's a bit of fun, and you can buy the parts a bit at a time as money allows. It's probably ~£50 for the Arduino, stepper driver and stepper motor, depends on what good deals you can find I guess :o

Edited by samtheeagle

It's probably ~£50 for the Arduino, stepper driver and stepper motor, depends on what good deals you can find I guess :)

For example, I have just brought last week an Arduino UNO for £23, EasyDriver for £11.58 and a NEMA17 Stepper motor for £5. This is all what is need at the basic level, though if you get the EasyDriver and intend to use it on a breadboard you will need to get some header pins to solder into the 0.1in connections so you can plug it into the board else you will need to solder individual wires to the board.

Have it all hooked up on my desk here in front of me and just playing with the Arduino code to get the correct stepping for my EQ Platform.

Instead of the UNO (or the duemilanove) with a standard , you can use the Pro Mini together with an FTDI USB-to-Serial-TTL cable: makes for a more compact solution and once you've programmed the Pro Mini with the FTDI cable and don't require computer connectivity in your project, you can keep the FTDI cable for the next project.

Surely, unless he's auto guiding, he'll only need a RA drive to visually track at sidereal rate? A DEC motor will only be used when slewing the scope around to find objects in his case, so he may as well just get the single RA motor for his EQ3-2 which is £70 ish isn't it?