Narrowband

recommended equipment

Hi all,

I have the Skywatcher Explorer 130p GOTO and I'm thinking about buying some new equipment to compliment it. With all the different -and expensive- things to buy (ep's, collimators, filters etc), I was wondering if people who had already taken the plunge on this stuff could make any recommendations on mid-priced kit, and what stuf to prioritise?

For example "buy (x) filters and use with (y) eyepieces on (z) magnification" or something. I can't afford to spend megabucks but feel like treating myself this month :)

I'm looking at pretty much anything in the sky that I can, from planets to DSOs. So please feel free to list anything you think was worth your cash and improved your viewing experience! (Things/brands not to bother with would be useful too!)

Maybe even list your set-up if you have a similar scope, would be interesting to see what people are using and hearing about what they can see!

Cheers!

You are going to need a collimator, no option. The scope will have to be collimated.

Eyepieces: 5mm to get 130x,

6.5mm for 100x and when the 5mm is too much,

10mm (65x) to replace what you have,

Which type? Try planetarys for contrast, and eye relief.

How well they work on f/5 scopes I have no experience.

Hi Panzer - I have a 130P ota but I use some fairly high quality ep's with it that I guess would be unsuitable for you.

If you can indicate a budget then I'm sure a few suggestions will be forthcoming. A lot of folk start with that scope so it's very well known.

As for accessories - a collimator will allways be useful and is allmost mandatory with newtonians. They can be as cheap as a hole drilled in a focuser cap or as expensive as a full blown Hotec. There's lots in between :)

Cheers for the replies,

A collimator is top of my list at the moment, and I think it does need collimating. The last few scarce clear nights I've gone back inside cold and dissappointed - Orion nebula looked weak, could hardly see Andromeda and stars had that similar glare they have with the naked eye.

However - which collimator is best for the SW 130p? I was thinking Cheshire, but can you tweak both the secondary and primary with that as accurately as a laser?

My budget is anywhere under £100 for an eyepiece (not ideal, I know). I've only got the Eps that came with it at the moment- 25x, 10x and the 2x barlow. I'm guessing the barlow is rubbish, because it loses a LOT of light, although I'm aware some light would be lost because of the extra glass etc.

Filters puzzle me a bit - do they add colour as well as contrast etc to the image or just sharpen it? I'd love to see coloured nebula/planets!!

I've got to tell you, I bought a 15mm and a 6mm celestron omni plossl and the difference between them and the ones that come with skywatcher scopes was startling. Omni's aren't top end by any means so if you do buy something known to be good may blow you away.

Cheers guys, I think its going to be the cheshire collimator and those celestron omni plossls :o

How easy is it to collimate the secondary mirror with a cheshire? Hoping I dont have to, because I've heard it can be a nightmare (tilt/rotation etc :)) but I'd like it to be as straightforward as it looks with a laser (been watching some youtube vids!)

Archived