SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL6 - How are you going to use the dark skies?

Helen

I've finally cracked it. Just change 'little Brown Job' or 'LBJ' from birdwatching to 'LGJ' or 'Little Grey Job.' :rolleyes::D:D

Just remembered why I gave up birdwatching. Please tell me this hobby isn't the same.....

Some things are just LGJ while others are just wow! From my garden everything is LGJ. But from a dark site with good transparent skies a lot becomes wow. :eek:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What happened to all your stuff Russ?

Your always welcome to use mine mate, as you know i always seem to set up and spend the whole night talking and not observing.

All gone Paul to pay for this and that. :eek:

Thanks for the offer. If that 300P is left unattended, i'll jump in. :rolleyes:

Some things are just LGJ while others are just wow! From my garden everything is LGJ. But from a dark site with good transparent skies a lot becomes wow. :eek:

Dark skies do make a huge difference. At last years SGL star party both nights I was there were clear (I'd like to continue my 100% record of clear nights this year as well please :rolleyes:). I had my 4" and 6" refractors there and the 6" showed similar DSO views to the ones my 10" newt puts up at home :)

Only downer is when you go back home and look at the same objects :mad:

Edit: Russ, you know that you will be welcome to use any of my kit while you are there :)

Hi John,

Best I hang around near you then if I need clear skies!! Oh and for advice!

Best regards

Chris

:eek: - I've kind of forgotten what a clear sky looks like lately Chris.

I'm not surprised you have not been able to have 1st light with your kit as yet though - it's been a really bad "patch" lately :)

We had the Icelandic volcano and jet-free skies last year which was another bonus. It got darn cold at night though - I'm glad I had a van as I'm not hardy enough for tents in those conditions :rolleyes:

Do you have a mount that you can bring Russ?

Ant

We'll be bringing the AZ4 but that is Harry's and he gets upset when i use his stuff without prior permission. :rolleyes:

I have the old Astro 3 still. It can't hold much though, a 102 Startravel at the most.

We'll be bringing the AZ4 but that is Harry's and he gets upset when i use his stuff without prior permission. :rolleyes:

I have the old Astro 3 still. It can't hold much though, a 102 Startravel at the most.

Won't hold the C925 then...? while I'm imaging with the ED80. Maybe we sould try it the other way round? Bring the Astro3 and we'll find something to put on it!

Bring Ep's - I don't have any :eek:

Ant

Right, I think I've come up with a plan.

Number 1 on the list is to image a whole bunch of galaxies in Virgo. I plan to use my 80ED with a Canon 1000D DSLR camera at prime focus as the main imaging set up with my new 66mm APO with a Meade DSI attached as a guidescope. I reckon on a mosaic of three images, centred on M58, NGC4435 and a point halfway between NGC4477 and NGC4571 should provide enough overlap.

If I manage all of that, a picture of M46 and M47 (open clusters in Puppis) would be nice.

I'm also hoping to do some visual observing and imaging with my new solar H Alpha set up (Coronado Solarmax 40 filter and BF10 blocking filter on an 66mm APO)

I would also like to have another crack at webcam imaging Mercury:D

post-13232-133877537887_thumb.png

post-13232-133877537895_thumb.png

post-13232-133877537904_thumb.png

post-13232-133877537914_thumb.png

Grr... I see Orion will be close to the west with little time for imaging targets around it.

But those with big apertures have a mass of targets!

I think I shall make my list of targets such as:

1. M99 Pin-wheel Galaxy @ 9.80 Mag (imaging) as it's got a good transit time for imaging.

2. M35 Which is an open cluster @ 5.10 mag.

3. NGC 2239 Rosette Nebula & open cluster

4. NGC 3384 Galaxy @ 10.00 mag - another very challenging one I suspect.

5. M106 Galaxy @ 8.30 mag

6. M109 Galaxy @ 9.80 mag

7. M81 & 82 @ 6.90 and 8.40 mag respectively

I'm unsure about the ability of the scope in terms of imaging but it will be interesting to find out :) I know I can quite easily see mag 4-5 with the naked eye at home so I'm hoping I can pick up some fainter targets.

After much serious thought this weekend, my mate Nicnac and I decided on these vewing targets...

Lulu and Nicnac's EyeSpy Spotter's Challenge for SGL6:

• a man perching on a fishing stool
  • a person with hands on hips, appreciating someone else's scope
  • a tipsy astronomer
  • ducks quacking happily
  • an exploding inflatable bed
  • an 8 inch dog
  • a man doing yoga
  • the sound of peacocks
  • a person falling in the river
  • an astronomer swearing at a scope
  • a daffodil
  • mysterious missing cakes
  • a hat that looks like an animal
  • a man in a baby-grow-romper-suit
  • a man in tights (over or under kecks)
  • a cloud shaped like a rabbit chasing a mermaid
  • a man fiddling with a hog (or part thereof)
  • a person wearing 3 equi-distant head torches
  • a dog relieving itself on a guy rope
  • spontaneous musical improvisation
  • a squirrel in a tree hiding its nuts
  • a very silly blonde and brunette sipping bubbly.

We dare you all to meet our challenge!

Any one able to provide photographic/witness-supported evidence of seeing the above, may claim a chocolate brownie (or equivalent treat) at Astronut or Starflyer's tents.

Too good to resist, eh? :p:):)

After much serious thought this weekend, my mate Nicnac and I decided on these vewing targets...

- a very silly blonde and brunette sipping bubbly.

Lulu, it sounds like a very silly blonde and brunette have been knocking back the bubbly already! :):(

Archived