Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL6 - How are you going to use the dark skies?

Helen

The best part of star parties for me is that two hours before dark on a clear night when the expectation and excitement kicks in, and suddenly everyone starts getting serious about preparing for the night ahead. The excitement sends tingles up my spine.

So you'll have access to very dark skies, no annoying lights from neighbours, no houses in the way, a good low south horizon...what are you planning to do at SGL6 to take advantage of this?

I'm looking to do two things:

- get some imaging done of targets which are too low in the south for me at home (and in the process practice my setting up routine and then processing skills - with experts on hand if I need help)

- get some views of some showpiece objects through someone else's BIG scope :)

What about you??

Helen

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That "dusk" time is very special Helen - a sort of calm expectation settles over the camp :o

If we get some good skies I'd like to see if I can resolve the spiral arms of M51 with my 10" newtonian. I can't quite do it at home because of local light pollution. I'd also like to see if the scope plus an O-III filter can give the Owl Nebula it's "eyes".

An Icelandic volcano plus a decent comet and a supernova would be nice too - can that be arranged ?. :)

The quiet time as it starts to get dark really is something special - your eyes dark adapt slowly as the light from the day ebbs away, so twilight seems to go on for ages!

There was a couple of issues last year at Kelling where the observers were moaning about red shielded torches being too bright!!!

So even red light needs to be just bright enough to get by on and turned off when you don't need it anymore.

I'd quite like to see the milky way again - cannot see it from home!

Ant

I'm going to re-do my blackeye galaxy in my 12" newt and then see if I can combine it with last years from the ED100.

And I didn't do much observing last year, so that will definitely change this time round!

The best part of star parties for me is that two hours before dark on a clear night when the expectation and excitement kicks in, and suddenly everyone starts getting serious about preparing for the night ahead. The excitement sends tingles up my spine.

I couldn't agree more Helen, it's one of 'those' moments :).

I'll probably be discussing/arguing with James about how many cans of Red Bull we're going to need and then take a look at what imaging targets that'll be do-able. I'm hoping that I'll be able to have a go at the antennae galaxies or something equally as inacessable from home, do a spot of observing and generally take in the vibe of the party. It's all good!

Tony..

I'm going to watch Daz, that's usually good entertainment!

If/when I get bored with that, imaging M51 with the 12" SCT should keep me occupied for a couple of nights at least.

Steve

Careful Steve - 12" SCT, active optics...you might be tops for giving entertainment!

Who is going to go to the house on the road and tell them not too come out as their security light comes on?

No venus and mercury at sunset this year but we will have saturn.

I am going to try to see how many messier objects I can log with my 20 x 80mm binos and the HUGE now famous 76mm firstscope.

Oh yes and my boys are going to try to win the quiz again. In between games of manhunt in the dary (away from the scopes).

Mark

Getting to grips with drift alignment is my first priority and then nailing my system into the ground so it doesn't move for the next 5 nights :)

After that who knows, I'll probably have my camera and 600mm f4 lens pointing somewhere and a second camera and lens sat on top of the ST80 guide scope pointing somewhere else for widefield stuff.

A third camera should be set up on a tripod for a dusk to dawn timelapse sequence.

Once the cameras are running I'll probably be wandering around seeing what other toys I have to buy :o

During the day you will probably find me along the river bank photographing wildlife or the sun with a solar filter

Thats a good question Helen. :)

The hours before, for me, will be getting stressed out getting set up with the children around and hoping not to look a complete 'burk' when I cant spot anything in the sky for them to look at other than the moon. :o

The other down side is awaiting all the complaints that the children are too noisy, torches are too red and keeping them fully interested and involved for a few hours. :(:(

They'll probably be tucked up in bed by about 22:00 so I'I be expecting complaints in the morning for keeping people awake. ;):(:p

The high point will be seeing anything other than the moon..... if I'm lucky..........

If you get to see Saturn that'll be a really big buzz! - and if its clear we'll make sure you see it! (you won't see the moon, sorry, we've deliberately picked a weekend when the moon doesn't interfere with viewing).

Don't worry about set up either, we've got a few people lined up as roving trouble-shooters to help people learn how to set up properly eg I was talking to John (Jahmanson) last week and he said he's really looking forward to being able to help people starting out. He'll then have pleasure every time he hears they've found something!!

Relax, it'll be fun!

Helen

If you get to see Saturn that'll be a really big buzz! - and if its clear we'll make sure you see it! (you won't see the moon, sorry, we've deliberately picked a weekend when the moon doesn't interfere with viewing).

Don't worry about set up either, we've got a few people lined up as roving trouble-shooters to help people learn how to set up properly eg I was talking to John (Jahmanson) last week and he said he's really looking forward to being able to help people starting out. He'll then have pleasure every time he hears they've found something!!

Relax, it'll be fun!

Helen

can I book an expert on drift alignment for Wednesday evening using a NEQ6 mount, eqmod, st80 and QHY5v guide cam setup please?

:o:eek::(:eek:;)

Well that's stuffed me then. Once the moons gone I ain't got a clue what's up there. We'll all be asleep by 20:00 then ready to go swimming and the gym for 7am. :)

Getting to grips with drift alignment is my first priority and then nailing my system into the ground so it doesn't move for the next 5 nights :)

Yup, I'll be supplying newbie imager entertainment.

I'll be doing short subs with a ATIK 16ic and mount-based tracking. I have a feeling that I may endup buying before the party:

* a filter wheel

* a set of filters

* a nice EP

I'm just about to buy an EQ6+power pack but hopefully I'll have a couple of nights of experience before hand. I'm hoping that the fill 7 days will give me plenty of time to try things.

The idea is that I should, after the first night, have the mount aligned.. woe is my naivity!

Oh, I hope to help people set up as well!

I'm planning on doing some imaging of Saturn with my webcams, some spectroscopy as well and, possibly, trying the LX mod out on my webcam on an easy target yet to be identified!

I hope to have both a solar filter and a DSLR by then as well, so might put them to work taking shots of the sun if it shows at all.

Most importantly, I'll be mixing with old and new friends and some friends I have yet to meet, browsing peoples equipment and enjoying the scene!

.... He'll then have pleasure every time he hears they've found something!!

Did I really say that ? :)

Seriously, I do get a buzz out of helping someone see something new so I'll be happy to help. I'm no good at drift alignment though I'm afriad ..... :o

Anyone up for a full-blown Messier Marathon?

I hear that late spring is the ideal time of year for one because you can see all of them all during at least one point in the night :)

I'm preparing sheets for anyone wanting to give a Messier Marathon a go.

Cheers

Ant

:o:eek::(:eek:;)

Well that's stuffed me then. Once the moons gone I ain't got a clue what's up there. We'll all be asleep by 20:00 then ready to go swimming and the gym for 7am. :)

Don't worry James, weather permitting, by the end of the weekend you'll have a much better idea :p We'll provide you with a list of good things to look for, help you set up and start to find things. And there's also the opportunity to look through other people's scopes (at things they've already found for you!!).

Helen

Archived