Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any benefit of Skymax127 over ST120

Hello folks,

I currently have a SW ST120 (and an ST80 grab and go), I have medium light polution and lean towards DSO/widefield, however, I do like looking at the moon and planets when they've available... well it'd be rude not to! However, with the ST120, the detail can be slightly lacking on planets.

Been a naturaly tight fisted so and so, I don't like spending money, although I keep wondering about an old blue Skymax127 second hand to compliment my ST120. Would the planetary views be that much more pleasing with the Skymax? I reckon I can pick one up OTA for sub £150. Thoughts?

Oh, and I've just got myself a SPC900NC ;-)

Cheers

Alun

Can't do a comparison on the ST120, but, having recently acquired the 127, I have to say that it seems to be very good indeed on Moon & planets. No false colour at all, and very contrasty. The 127 is a good performer on my lightweight GoTo mount, and I very much suspect that it would be even more impressive on a better mount - EQ5, HEQ5, etc.

Seems, if the commentary on the lounge is anything to go by, also to be a good partner for your SPC900NC - which is my next acquisition!

I purchased mine when Mars was close to us early last year and even with the modest EPs that came with it, one of which was a freebee (Kson 16.8mm ortho) I could see shady patches and the ice cap on it. I mostly use the Kson, both on it's own and with the SW deluxe barlow the on planets and the moon and a Meade 40mm plossl purchased separately or the 25mm SW super plossl for DSOs.

The Kson on the moon produces stunning views and when the viewing is really good add the barlow and it's like your floating 100 miles or so over the surface.

Alun,

I have used an old 100mm Mak before, and I am sure that the SW Maks will provide even more contrasty views than a ST 120mm and also allow you to use more magnification on the planets/moon.

The SW 102mm is at £150 ish new,but given the choice I would also take a 2nd hand 127mm for £150 ish, for the extra light grasp.

However its probably got a slightly longer cool down than the 100mm version.

What mount are you going to be using for the scope(s).

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the input. General consensus is that the 127 would be a good buy, although I hadn't thought about cool down... something to remember. Roll on payday!

Jon, I'll be using it on a roboscoped CG5 that my ST120 is currently on, I'll just swap them subject to my needs... I have a dual mount bar kicking around (another custom project from a while back!) but am fairly confident that the 2 of them together would be too much. Either on their own should be fine on the CG5.

Cheers

Alun

Jon,

That's what I'm using as the limit, although I have seen 15kg quoted some places, which seems a little on the heavy side for my liking. The cg5 is one of the older ones which came with the square aluminium tripod, it now has a nice shiny hardwood tripod... unfortunately I made it a bit too shiny and it slips a little! Need to sort that out... or finish my semi permanent wood pier first! Good job theres all these cloudy nights ;-)

Cheers

Alun

Archived