Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crater Copernicus

m_j_lyons

Capture/stack from this AM of Crater Copernicus. The image was from inside my warm house because it was below freezing outside. I have a 4.5" scope and used a 2xbarlow on this set with a polarizing filter. I'm somewhat surprised to see other postings of the moon and at how much more detail a somewhat larger (from 4.5" to say 6") scope gives you. There is no depth to the crater in my image which I'd venture to say is likely do the lack of shadows as much as anything else - sound plausible?

Anyway - please provide some feedback as I'd like to get this down a bit better.

Cheers.

post-24678-13387753498_thumb.jpg

I'm somewhat surprised to see other postings of the moon and at how much more detail a somewhat larger (from 4.5" to say 6") scope gives you. There is no depth to the crater in my image which I'd venture to say is likely do the lack of shadows as much as anything else

Indeed, if you have the terminator near the feature you're imaging you will get dramatics shadows - full moon is about the worst time for imaging the moon!

You've done very well for shooting from inside - the temperature gradient and the glass of the window will not help matters at all - window glass is far from optically perfect & when you take a 4.5" diameter light beam through it there will usually be rather more blurring than is visible in your image. Sorry but you have to get out in the cold with your scope to get really sharp images.

Last month I made a large scale mosaic of the full moon with my 110mm (4.3") scope, it's here.

• 1 month later...
OMG!! But is not through a window glass!!!! When did I said that in the article? :icon_eek:

Images were made outside. Maybe it is a joke,and I dont undarstand it.

No one suggested that you had shot the photo through a window. See my previous post. Yfronto was refering to the original post, not yours.

Peter

• 4 months later...

Why are those optical illusions on the Moon craters? I forced my eyes to not see bumps on Copernicus,but I couldn't.Only if I looked again,I saw the deep crater,but only for a few moments. If you believe that sunlight comes from the southwest, it is seen as a deep crater.If you think the sunlight comes from the northeast, it is no longer seen as a crater, but as a swelling . This is my Copernicus thtough 8" reflector telescope

Copernicus crater optical illusion

post-22741-1338776491_thumb.jpg

nice pic you should be proud,lots of people are a bit shy when it comes to pics of anything ,due to the fact that people with 3,000 pound set put up amaze in pics up but yours in my eyes is the same its a great picstand tall and hold ya head high

pat

Archived