Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How To Mount The Spotter Scope

Hi All,

Well the 80ED is fine and now balanced for photography:

POR_6802.jpg

So the question is how do I mount the Spotter scope the StarTravel 80 OTA to it then?

I was told it would come with all the brackets needed but cannot see how this will work?

Anyone any photos of this sort of combination?

Best regards

Chris

Hi chris.

Not sure this is right but i belive you need either a dual saddle so the scopes sit side by side, or skywatcher do a mount type thing that sits on the piggy back mount.

hopefully someone that knows what htere talking about will be along to give you the right answer lol but hopefully that'll give you something to have a look on FLO or RVO websites for untill they do come along.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. I am sure the dual saddle one is a solution, but cannot work out if Widescreen have sent the bits they promised or not.

Cannot see anything that appears to allow the spotter/guide scope to mount on top of the normal scope. I thought perhaps that was black knurled nut on the right of the scope in the picture was for. It has a bolt going through. The other 'ring' just has a threaded hole. The spotter scope has exactly the same on the top of the rings and a plastic plate which I think goes on a normal tripod.

Best regards

Chris

Chris, the easiest way to do this and the method that works for me is to attach a dovetail bar (or a length of other aluminium bar) to the top of the ED80 tube rings using 1/4" Whitworth bolts into the two 'camera' mount tapped holes and then attach the tube rings for the ST80 to that. Although the colour of my ED80 is different to yours, it is the same telescope!

post-13675-133877534969_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris

I mounted mine (ST102) very similar to Steve. I used a 6 x 40 x 340mm aluminium bar on my main scope rings.

I used the original 1/4x20 camera bolt and black plastic thumb wheel on the main ring, and remove the other from the ST102 ring (your ST80), and put that in the other main scope ring.

I drilled two holes in the ali bar to take these bolts and tightened then down with the wheel nuts.

I then offered the guide scope (ST102) on top of the bar and marked the best place for mounting. IIRC I used 6mm bolts and lock nuts to secure guide scope rings.

I also fixed a Manfrotto QR mount to the underside of the bar so I can attach the ST102 to a standard camera mount to use as a spotter or a grab-n-go.

I don't think you can use your ST80 dovetail bar to span the main scope rings, it's to short.

Hope all this makes sense.

If I get a chance later I'll post some images. :glasses1:

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the description and photos. I have managed to do the same.

Only odd thing now is how do you calibrate the spotter scope or in my setup what will be the tracker scope to be looking at exactly the same thing?

The spotter scopes they provide have little knurled screws that allow you to adjust. But obviously nothing on this type of set up. I thought perhaps it was all about putting shims or washers in.

Best regards

Chris

As steve explains, it's not critical to see exactly the same, so long as you can capture as suitable star to guide on.

The two spacers you can see on my guider rings gives a bit more height so I can get to the black wheel nuts.

The adjustable guider scope rings with the three points are quite expensive, hence this method.

Get Steve's book 'MAKING EVERY PHOTON COUNT' it will answer all your questions.

Archived