Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Reflectance Spectroscopy with a Star Analyzer

I think this sort of work is beyond amateur slit spectroscopes ( I may be proved wrong!) but it is being done using NASA data. There a lot of results and info in some of the back issues of the Selentology emag.

See below:

Released Selenology Today # 21, the journal of the GLR group.

This looks like another good issue! The Journal of lunar studies is released at

SELENOLOGY TODAY

You are welcome!

Raffaello Lena

editor of Selenology Today

GLR group

I don't think this work is outside the scope of amateurs...

There is a manual in selentology mag for spectral work

http://digidownload.libero.it/glrgroup/selenologytoday19.pdf

They do work using 20 filters with a C9.25 and use spectra from a number of space missions freely available on line to do their spectral analysis of parts of the moon

I can't see why amateurs with slit spectroscopes can't do high or low resolution work on different parts of the moon.

cheers

John

Many thanks; I agree a slit spectrometer should work. Using filters is an interesting idea - the three RGB channels from a DSLR file should be similar in principle to a simple three colour filter system, I suppose, and might provide some objectivity to the description of colour in Moon images, or the yellowish bands on Saturn. (I had a quick look using the RGB values at obviously brown and blue areas of a moon image and you can in fact see very clear differences in the ratios).

Chris

Archived