Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

can anyone help me?

leliel

i'm not personally into astronomy, but my mother in law was, she passed away some time ago now, but left lots of stuff for astronomy, including 3 telescopes (2 largeish ones) and mounts and things, i want to shift them now but i have no idea what i have. is there anyone who could swing by mine and tell me what i've got and how much (if anything) it's worth? im on the somerset/doset border, near yeovil. please send me an email if you can help! thanks!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Leliel and welcome to SGL :glasses1:

Unfortunately I'm too far from you to drop by. What I would advise is that you identify each piece from it's markings (make, model, size, etc) and look up the new price using google.

Up to around 18mths old and in good operational condition, most astronomy items hold around 60% of their value.

Alternatively you could put some pictures up and I'm sure people will be happy to identify for you and maybe even make some offers. Try and make the pics as clear as possible especially any markings.

Hope that helps :)

( PS to sell individual bits or whole scopes use http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/ )

i'm not personally into astronomy, but my mother in law was, she passed away some time ago now, but left lots of stuff for astronomy, including 3 telescopes (2 largeish ones) and mounts and things, i want to shift them now but i have no idea what i have. is there anyone who could swing by mine and tell me what i've got and how much (if anything) it's worth? im on the somerset/doset border, near yeovil. please send me an email if you can help! thanks!

i am sure someone will help on here :glasses1:

TBH as some have already suggested given such a golden opportunity you should at least wait for a clear night and give one of them a try out. Who knows you may decide to keep the lot :glasses1: If it's just not your idea of fun may I suggest you take some pictures and post them on this thread and people may be better to advise you of there value and where best to sell them.

SPACEBOY

If you can get some pics of the stuff and mail them to me I could post them on the forum for you if your not sure how to get stuff posted on here.

Your a bit too far from me but I am a dead straight player as anyone on here will vouch for so I would be ahppy to take a stab at valuation for you - can I advise you dont do anything crazy like ebay them until you have a decent valuation or else you could be shooting yourself in the foot.

If your really stuck I could be down that way in a week or two (maybe) and could take a look if theres no one nearer.

I would, as many others would vouch for AB and take that offer up to get some pics posted. Unfortunately until you have reached the required number of posts you'll not be able to view the buy/sell section. But maybe someone can list these items for you.

I would avoid ebay...

I'm in Bristol and do travel quite a bit around your area, but unfortunately unable to do so over the next few weeks.

Is there a local astronomy club you can contact? Maybe try contacting South Somerset club here: SSAS

HTH and sorry for your loss...

Michael

Sorry to hear about the los of your family member.

As for your gear...take images and post them here (it's easy to do yourself). Wait for people to give a rounded agreed opinion on what they are and listen to no PMs or emails yet.

This place if full of trustworthy people but there's always those who like to confuse and be dishonest in order to bag a bargain at someone's expense. This is a very popular forum and they do lurk...so be aware.

Keep it out in the open for security.

Let us all see what you have and we'll help you get the best bang for the buck :glasses1:

MG1 makes a good point on finding an astronomy club :)

Hi All,

I think that some of the suggestions are sound with regards to taking photos.

But based on my knowledge or lack of it when I started this journey a person who is not into this hobby would have absolutely no idea what to take a photo of nor which bits are which.

Hence the OP has sensibly asked for someone to drop by. If there is no one nearer, my offer of calling in still stands. I can get the photos of each bit of kit and upload them. Yeovil is on my travels as I work with the UK water companies and am down that way very often.

Just waiting for a pm and phone number to arrange to do this.

Everyone will then get an opportunity to value the kit with all money going to the original poster.

Best regards

Chris

We need to keep this transparent and clear for the benefit of the original poster.

My sensible suggestion of keeping this in this thread is not aimed at you, or anyone else, by the way :)

However, saying they won't know what to take photos of, or can't post them here, makes no sense. How hard is it to take photos of kit? If we need more we simply ask them to take a closer pic.

If they can email pics to someone then they can post them here instead. It's simple. Simple to explain also. There's no reason to do otherwise.

Once identified someone like yourself can always go to verify the condition as that's harder to determine.

This person could be sitting on junk...but also they could be sitting on a goldmine.

Transparency is the safest way for us as a community to help them out.

They've just lost a close relative so we need to make sure they're getting a good deal on everything.

If they haven't got a camera...then we're doomed! :glasses1:

Hi all, thanks for the offers of help! i personally am not 'into' astronomy, it just doesn't interest me, i'm more into paleontology and the physical earth-based sciences, although i have just been graced with a new baby nephew, so if the smallest of the telescopes turns out to be not worth much i might keep it for him- little boys love that sort of thing!

the local astronomy group to me is C.A.D.A.S, which, unfortunately my mother in law was a founding member/treasurer for, and TBH (and hoping that no-one here is a member of) i would rather not go to. I think it is best if i take some photographs and ask someone here to upload for me, valuation by group concensus seems the best idea- i might even get a mini auction started! :) i also have 7 boxes of books at home, which originally belonged to C.A.D.A.S, but i have told them that its been nearly 3 years and if they don't collect soon then i will just sell them. it's going to take a little time to get the photographs sorted though- im currently on night shifts (hence the ridiculous posting times) so bear with me, there's also a lot of kit that i'm not even sure the identity of, so i may load it all onto tables and take a mass photo and see if anyone can guess! once again, thanks for ALL the offers of help, and for the condolences offered too!

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I neglected to offer my condolences in my earlier post and wish to do so now; I know what it's like to lose a family member and it's a difficult time and even clearing out belongings can be complex.

If you have a digital camera and know how to use it or have someone else in your family who knows how to use one, please take 5 or 6 pictures of the various items you want an opinion on (or indeed a table-full) and we'll do our best for you.

I've attached some images which explain how to upload images to the forum. It's easy - look for the paperclip icon/button when replying and click it :)

Kind Regards,

Mike

post-18683-133877535323_thumb.png

post-18683-133877535336_thumb.png

Archived