SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is Anyone Actually Getting Any Viewing Done?

bigglesdad

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once this year.

The other clear night my friend was here for dinner and movie. I don't think "do you mind if I go outside with the scope while you watch the movie" would have gone down well...

I have woken up to a number of clear mornings though.

This year I am keeping a weather log and I have ro say so far its been dire. Only one night was usable since January 1.

Sorry, AB - I don't know where you live, but what do you call a "usable" night - ok, I'm new to this so I have probably been out on nights when it's clear but not ideal as I'm keen to "look around", those nights are probably not good enough for the more experienced astronomer, but are you saying that you've only had one usable (ideal?) night or one clear night since Jan?

I've enjoyed two or three nights out this year. Chance to enjoy my 13mm Hyperion and views of M42 (just resolved the 'E' star in the trapezium). Nothing like last year's views of Mars in January, Jupiter has been a wash out for me and haven't had a chance at Saturn either.

Otherwise I had a nice view of an evening Moon on the way home the other day. No chance to get the telescope out but observing for me can be just as fun with the naked eye (okay, I'm trying to convince myself there).

Anyway, I'm having an operation in early March which may well stop me doing any lifting and carrying for a good few months, so my telescope is unlikely to see any use no matter what the weather :glasses1:

Same here in the West Country, occasional sunny days followed by cloudy nights! I got my scope just over a month ago and I think it's been outside for about three ten minute sessions, not had time to learn to align the goto yet!!

Is this part of the deal with new scopes, "thank you Sir, and here is your free month of cloudy skies."

This cloud is doing my head in. I have had my scope for 2 weeks and only used it 3 times. I could be getting my first view of Saturn from my back garden, as well as a first look at a full moon. I am soooooo frustrated!! :glasses1: Having to cheer myself up by reading the new Sky at Night magazine which dropped through my letterbox yesterday.

Welcome to Astronomy!

Quote:

This year I am keeping a weather log and I have ro say so far its been dire. Only one night was usable since January 1.

Sorry, AB - I don't know where you live, but what do you call a "usable" night - ok, I'm new to this so I have probably been out on nights when it's clear but not ideal as I'm keen to "look around", those nights are probably not good enough for the more experienced astronomer, but are you saying that you've only had one usable (ideal?) night or one clear night since Jan?

Since January 1 I have had one usable night - ie there were no clouds and I could actually see some stars. The sky was in fact perfect BUT it was so cold even my cold weather gear was giving up after 2 hours or so and we had to pack up. When my cold weather boots starts to lose heat you KNOW its cold. The rest of the time its been cloud, cloud and cloud.

Ok at maybe 8PM its been clear for half an hour but when you live in a flat and it takes 90 minutes to assemble the gear for transport and get to a site and set-up a 20 minute clear spot is no use.

I am basing cloud cover on two readings - one taken at 7-8pm and one taken at around 10:30pm most nights. A clear spell at 4am is no use to someone who has to be in work at 8am and has a 1 hour journey to work and who will be working a 12 hour day most days.

Sadly the most viewing I have done in the last 10 weeks , have been on the forums. Working three nights on and three off only compounds the issue . Since the ObsyShed was completed in Sept' , I have had a grand total of four , yes four good nights to test stuff out and get some observing done. Dire to say the least.

Up here ( Central Scotland ) there has been almost equal nights ( so it seems ) of fog and cloud. Granted the snow has not been much of an issue this year, but the cloud cover has been awful. Depressingly awful.

The weather has really hampered my other hobby , photography. Dull, flat, boring, PITA light during the day.

It's that extreme that I am trying to get my night worked changed to day work, maybe then I wont be cursing as I leave for work under a clear sky, that's just taking the biscuit . I can't even take my bino's in with me to work, for fear of being arrested ,lol !

Galaxy Season is soon to arrive , hoping against hope that the weather is kinder. At 55 degrees N I usually don't get much viewing done through the Summer. It' just doesn't get dark enough.

I reckon Scots Astronmers are masochists tbh !

Clear Skies ( !!! )

Pete

Ok at maybe 8PM its been clear for half an hour but when you live in a flat and it takes 90 minutes to assemble the gear for transport and get to a site and set-up a 20 minute clear spot is no use.

I am basing cloud cover on two readings - one taken at 7-8pm and one taken at around 10:30pm most nights. A clear spell at 4am is no use to someone who has to be in work at 8am and has a 1 hour journey to work and who will be working a 12 hour day most days.

Thanks, AB - I certainly wasn't criticising - hope you didn't take it that way - I was just wondering whether ones demands/expectations for what constitutes clear skies changes with experience, it would appear not - just any clear sky will do!

I take the point regarding set up time, obviously not worth it for a half hour window and also the fact that most of us have to get up and go to work - still not sure how I'm going to get my first sight of Venus or a decent go at Saturn.

Anyway, and this is an earnest wish for you

clear skies!

I,m not sure if this is right,but does,nt the Jet Stream also play a signicant part in our weather,usually this sits out high over the Alantic,but i believe it now sits over the UK,and this can cause unsettled weather.

I stand to be corrected on this,but like eveyone else,i.m waiting for the skies to clear,and at my time in life,i wish it would hurry up!!!!!

Mick.

I had a few brief observing opportunities between the cloud particularly towards the latter part of January. Feb has been a stinking month for clear nights here, there was one night I believe Tuesday past when I had my youngest brother round for the night and it looked really clear outside around 10pm. So set up the scope in the garden to cool down, did the hot tea in thermal cups thing (it was -2c), warm gloves, tammy hats, set up a little table in the garden for the lap top, polar aligned the scope, set up stellarium for my brother to pick his targets, then bang. The cloud rolls in and it starts snowing less than 10 minutes into the observation. Just typical isn't it! :glasses1:

Archived