SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How To Take Bias Frames on a DSLR?

Hi,

I want to take bias frames on my Canon 550D.

1. Can I take them once and then never have to do them ever again?

2. Should I take a range of them at different ISO settings?

3. Should I take a number and average them?

4. Can I take them with the stock lens on and the lens cap on, or should I set the camera up in a certain way or perhaps leave it on for 30mins to warm up?

In Short, how do I take them?

Thanks

Daniel

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You usually don't need to. DSLRs with CMOS sensors (as opposed to CCD) automatically take and subtract a bias frame every time an exposure is made. If they didn't, the noise would be horrendous.

Almost all current models of DSLR use CMOS sensors; some older Nikons used CCD.

do you mean the 'Noise Reduction System' where it takes the same length exposure again to remove the noise

No, that's switchable.

Every time you fire the shutter on a Canon DSLR, after the shutter closes the camera makes another exposure of very short duration (a dark bias frame) and subtracts that from the image. If you have "long exposure noise reduction" enabled, it takes another exposure of the same length as the "proper" one - a "dark frame"and another bias frame, subtracts the second bias from the dark frame then subtracts the result from the de-biased "light" frame - everything except the final result is then forgotten.

As Billy says, if you take a very short exposure with a Canon DSLR & the lens capped, you find there's essentially no data in the raw frame. Using this as a "bias frame" is doing nothing useful for your image, just wasting your time & wearing out the shutter mechanism on the camera.

with my dedicated CCD camera, I take it I would need to take Bias frames.
Need - well maybe you'd get away without, if you have one of the cameras with a quiet Sony CCD like the Atik 314L. But it wouldn't do any harm ... if you have a camera using a Kodak CCD you will certainly need full bias, dark & flat frame calibration to get an acceptable noise level, however with this done the results should be equal to or better than that obtained with the Sony CCDs.

Examine your bias frames. If they're "flatter than a flat thing thats been flattened by a very heavy flattener" they're not worth bothering with.

Well, bias frames are useful but are surely contained within your darks already. Don't apply them twice! The only reason a CCD imager would take bias frames would be to use them as darks for his/her flats. I have never applied bias to lights other than via my darks. That applies to both Sony and Kodak chips that I've used. This is very much a majority view, I think.

Olly

Interesting Brian, that answers some oddities with bias I've seen... not gonna bother with them anymore.

As for using the long exposure NR... you could, but then you lose a lot of possible sky time (50%) and there's not enough of that now to lose any.

On the odd occasion that we get a clear night, I tend to set everything up and then leave it shooting pictures whilst I go inside and watch TV for several hours. Then I come and take it all down, but set up the camera on the floor taking the dark frames and go watch some more TV whilst cursing it taking so long with the dark frames because I really ought to be going to bed. It might actually work out better for me.

Then again, I can probably get away with only 5-10 dark frames - if I set up the automatic long-exposure setting, I will have to take as many as I take lights.

Every time you fire the shutter on a Canon DSLR, after the shutter closes the camera makes another exposure of very short duration (a dark bias frame) and subtracts that from the image.

Well, you lives and you learns - didn't know that, thanks for the info.

You usually don't need to. DSLRs with CMOS sensors (as opposed to CCD) automatically take and subtract a bias frame every time an exposure is made. If they didn't, the noise would be horrendous.

That comes as a big surprise to me. So why do my Canon RAW bias frames show a mean value that is >> than the sigma?

Well, you lives and you learns - didn't know that, thanks for the info.

Neither did I :)

Ive always used separate bias frames and finding this out might prod me into redoing some old data to see if there is actually a difference.

Hmm - well they do a very bad job of it then, as my bias frames (1/4000 sec in the dark, Canon 1000D) do show structure which is apparent in the light frames.

NigelM

OK, so Canon's and other do a CDS (what we used to call double-correlated read) where the chip is read before exposure and this value subtracted at the end. This is to remove any unwanted resiudal charge lurking around. However, I think Canon then add a bias level before writing out the RAW file.

NigelM

Archived