sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Vixen 80MF refractor - Solar Use ?

Hi

I picked up a Vixen 80MF refractor last year and was going to use it for guiding but have now setted on my ST80 for that - So can I convert the Vixen for Solar use ?, ideally for Visual and Imaging - I have struggled to find much on line on Solar Imaging

Thoughts appreciated.

Regards

John B

Yes, an excellent telescope for white light/Ha solar work and easy to convert. But to successfully adapt for Ha you will need additional expensive components, ERF, Ha etalon, blocking filter. Cheapest route is via a s/h PST modification

You can also use a Herschel prism for white light viewing. It looks like a star diagonal, except that it has a wedge-shaped prism that deflects 95% of the light and heat away. Even with a residual 5%, we still need internal filtering.

I have a LUNT Hershel prism, which is probably as good as the much more expensive BAADER one, that I fitted with a No3 neutral density filter ( all filters must be placed after the prism, not in front of it, where they would be exposed to intense heat ). The No.3 is supplemented with a BAADER Solar Continuum ( green ) filter that enhances the solar granulation; we can use a polaroid filter as an alternative to a green filter.

The advantages of a Herschel prism are that we get better definition than solar film and glass filters and the prism is more robust, hence safer to use.

Yes, an excellent telescope for white light/Ha solar work and easy to convert. But to successfully adapt for Ha you will need additional expensive components, ERF, Ha etalon, blocking filter. Cheapest route is via a s/h PST modification

s/h PST Modification ?

Regards

John B

This is all great so for white lite observing its a case of Baader Solar film filters and for HA and beyond more mods required

I want it all ?, woudld like to grab images that I see on the forum etc they are staggering.

John B

The advantages of a Herschel prism are that we get better definition than solar film and glass filters and the prism is more robust, hence safer to use.

Hmmm I have to disagree...the Baader Solar film will give you as good an image as you'll ever see and they last for years (mine is over six years old and still going strong)

A Ha Mod will cost you around 300gbp for Stage one and closer to 750gbp for stage two; on top of the cost of a PST and a donor scope (Vixen 80mm)

Thanks, learning a lot here, any chance of describing stage 1 and 2 oh and PST ( a primer on this would be excellent) of course I will be asking about imaging next

Regards

John B