Narrowband

90 % viewer.

hi all, another newbie question . my diagonal viewer on my celestron 90mm refractor ,is one that views objects right way up. so it has a prism to turn the image(so i believe anyway)

now would i get sharper views if i swapped this for a diagonal with just the mirror,and eliminate the prism. i was told more light will get through and therefore better images.

however,i will only do this if it is a big difference,due to the fact its new ,as am i. and dont want to risk breaking it. i only use scope for astronomy ,so upsidedown is no issue.

has anyone else got or had an astromaster 90mm celestron ?

thanks all,for any help to a newbie:icon_scratch:

Hi rory, I don't think you would see much of a difference. Normal diagonals are supposed to have 99% reflectivity so a slight improvement on a prism, which do introduce chromatic aberrations on fast scopes, which you may have noticed.

Hope that helps

Handy little scope you have :glasses1:

Hi Rory, When i bought my 70mm refractor it came with a 45 degree right way up jobbie and i bought a 90 degree star diagonal. I don't see much difference at all but it was worth it not to end up on my knees so often. Don't think you could break anything though, mine fits perfectly.

okay ta. ive had suggested to me that the prism is losing me up to 10% light. i mean i can buy a standard mirror type, but dont really wanna spend dosh on that if id be better off using it to get a eyepiece of decent quality instead.

It's a good question. I wouldn't think sharpness would be affected much, but i'd be interesed know if you can see fainter objects with a 99% dielectric diagonal compared to a 90% standard one, or if contrast would be improved. Has anyone had any experiences of this.

Don't know if it's much help but I recently purchased a 2" gso dielectric diagonal to replace the standard 1 1/4" diagonal that came with my 6" f/8 frac. I'm more than certain that it is a definite improvement. Omega centauri has gone from a hazy ball with a few stellar points to one with a myriad stars across it's face. At higher mags the contrast has also improved. This was noted from my light polluted suburban location. Hope this helps.

interesting. what im going to do ( if we ever get clear skies again!!!) take the diagonal off ,so there's no prism and use it like a traditional scope and see if the view is better. i know it will be upside down ect. but will be interesting to see the outcome. i tried it briefly in daylight at some tree's to see if i could focus ok. which i can .

Archived