Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn 18th Feb + animation

johnh

SPX350 F34 11,915mm fl with 5xPowermate, PGRFlea3, Astrodon filters.

Another night - seeing was wobbly but got a good set at a new longest FL the 5xPM can produce at 7.5x power increase. Dark patch moves off disc with storm loop visible, breezy night.

R RGB - 1555hrs UT.

Got 3 decent sets for a GIF.

Thanks, John.

post-15219-133877534528_thumb.png

post-15219-133877534547_thumb.gif

When your finished this season John will be great to see yor intire record on a page. What a record that will finally be, Its hard to choose between a lot of them, as they all look so detailed. Both the quality and the storm itself is just a real pleasure to see, keep them coming plz, im not sure what to expect on saturn next, and its your images that are giving us a chance to see exactly what is happening in super Hi resolution

Thanks everyone, Leenewtoastro the 5xPowermate is like a Barlow but made for imaging and has a different lens arrangement and increases FL by 6-7.5x giving a massive increase.

At 67 degrees alt Saturn at F34 is giving red channel - 22-24fps at 85% histogram, green at 75% - 17fps, blue at 65% - 13fps, IR742nm 75% - 9.5fps. My scope has enhanced coatings which helps but mirror is 3years old and a bit grubby.

It was clear last night but seeing was good but not the best, tonight will be clear but I feel the breeze will be too great.

Setting up 5 nights in a row sounds like a dream but staring at Saturn for hours and continually processing every spare moment is very tiring but you lot won't have any sympathy for me in this baking humid heat. Just waiting for the 9.5/10 seeing I deserve. Saturn opposition is April 4th so have some way to go yet so I wonder what Saturn will do next.

Thanks, John.

Setting up 5 nights in a row sounds like a dream but staring at Saturn for hours and continually processing every spare moment is very tiring but you lot won't have any sympathy for me in this baking humid heat. Just waiting for the 9.5/10 seeing I deserve.

Yeah, the processing can get exhausting after long observing / imaging sessions - sometimes I find it very frustrating that good weather occurs in spells instead of being predictably every second night!

Baking humid heat, well I'd far rather have extreme cold, but I'd even settle for heat to get a few minutes of 9/10 seeing. Take care & mind the snakes, spiders, crocodiles, koalas etc :glasses1:

Yes Brian I prefer heat to cold as my fingers hurt so much in UK but cold is good for CCD noise. The Flea3 in the Firecapture software shows the CCD's temperature and the CCD can get upto 50degrees outside but is usually around 37degrees C and still has suprisingly little noise at full gain. Been the hottest day here in Bris at 34degrees in a cold Summer so far, Adelaide can get upto 46deg C sometimes.

Not seen any spiders or snakes yet but we had a blue tongued lizard in the back unhurried with an audience. Lots of Gekos chirping me on at night. I have to spray 'Bushman' on every night and it stinks so the flies stop biting me.

John.

Archived