Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3.7mm Ethos Review Conclusion - Lunar Observing: Apollo 12 and 14 Landing Sites + ext

TakMan

Folks, I’m off to Marakkech for a few days of ‘Winter Sun’ but I managed to finish this new report before I head off...

So, attached is the latest write up from my lunar observing session from Saturday 12th Feb 2011 - and the conclusion of my 3.7mm Ethos review which may worth a look if you’re thinking of an imminent purchase of such an expensive eyepiece - even with the 20% off offer.

To those hankering after the 110 degree field and magnification that the new Ethos offers, be aware of its (unadvertised) limitations :glasses1: with scope focal lengths above f7.... not that I’m selling..!

Also included is my search for two more Apollo landing sites - Nos 12 and 14, encouraged after a successful attempt at finding No 15 the week before (with the help of a newly purchased; ‘Sky and Telescope’s - Mirror Image - laminated Field Map of the Moon’ thanks to Amazon).

It came highly recommended as it is clearly illustrated and annotated my renowned Czech astronomer and lunar cartographer Antonín Rükl. A £6 purchase any budding lunar observer won’t regret!

My attempts at a few quick sketches using a simple William Optics EZTouch mount are also included as well as how I got on helping a young Cub Scout start his Astronomy Proficiency Badge!

8 pages worth, so plenty to read after downloading... :)

Thanks for looking.

Clear skies,

Damian

post-16760-133877534428_thumb.jpg

Lunar Observing + Ethos 3.7mm Review_PART1.pdf

Lunar Observing + Ethos 3.7mm Review_PART2.pdf

Superb review and observing report. :glasses1::icon_salut::)

My conclusions 0f lunar observing with the 3.7 SX pretty well match yours. I use the Baader Moon & Skyglow filter with it and it does seem to improve contrast a little bit and gets rid of any warm tint as well.

John

Archived