Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it worth having if you can afford it LightBridge 8" Truss Dobsonian

I was just browsing looking at so many telescopes and its a bit confusing. No let me refrase its terrifying! I already have a 127 celestron powerseeker.

Now I have a few options available either to upgrade my eyepieces, or an entirely new scope.

I have only had the powerseeker 127 since christmas and enjoy it but wanted better veiws really and I know the larger the apature the better. Or am I wrong?

Would I get better veiws with the LightBridge 8" Truss Dobsonian or not? Are there upgrade for LightBridge 8" Truss Dobsonian like a camera mount?

With a LightBridge 8" Truss Dobsonian do I need to purchase a mount / tripod.

I was only thinking as its an 8" and with price range soon.

Dapper

As most 8" 'scopes will fit in a car theres little point in having a truss unless you are desperate for the room. Infact the truss might take up even more room than a solid tube when disassembled. Go with the solid tube one that Phil mentioned, you get more aperture for your money. If you are looking at the 12" then the truss makes good sense.

If I were you I would save my money for the moment. It looks like you have a pretty nice scope. Learn to use and enjoy it to its full potential. You might then find that you are not as interested in deep sky objects and for planetry views a refractor would be better, or you might want to start imaging and a Dob would be of no use.

It is all too easy to get carried away when you start this and want to go bigger and better. I find myself doing it now, just surfing round the 'scope sites looking for bigger and better ones as I cannot get out to observe due to the weather.

Buy some books like turn left at Orion and a planisphere, learn the sky and look at some objects that will be viewable in your scope. Then you can think where you want to go with this insanly expensive hobby :nono:

Compared to your Celestron Powerseeker, an 8" Dobsonian (from either Skywatcher or Meade) will offer significantly better views with 2.5x more light gathering ability! A 10" even more so!!!

Phil and Gordon have the right idea when they say there isn't a lot of point in having an 8" Truss Dobsonian. A solid tube 8" Dobsonian is easily manageable and portable (tube across the back-seat and base in the boot). And, you can add rings and an GEQ mount at a later date.

Rings depend on which OTA you eventually get, but about 230mm I think for most 8" GSO dobs. The mount is completly up to you and you can spend a lot more on your mount than your OTA depending on what you want. You'll need at LEAST an EQ5 for an 8" 'scope, something like the CG5 or HEQ5 perhaps. For the best upgrade path go for the EQ6 but thats heavy and not for everyone.

So am i right in thinking if I was to buy a dob sky250px I will need to purchase a mount seperatly. Or does it come with a mount/tripod

Or could I manage with the mount that came as standard with my celestron powerseeker 127.

dapper

So am I right in thinking the the dob sky250px is all i need the mount, refered to me as the tripod is of a box shape thingy?

So how do I ajust the hight? On my celestron 127 I can adjust the hight of the legs on the tripod. How is this done on a dob sky250px please?

also

Is the length of the dob sky250px much bigger than my celestron 127?

Dave

I also got a 127 celestron powerseeker at Christmas, must admit it is very tempting to upgrade. But going to wait until i have found my way round the sky first. (also need more funds first)

The Skywatcher Explorer 200 (HEQ5) looks very nice, would this give a much better view?

Steve I agree with you on getting the most out of what you have but as we all know its an expensive hobby.

If I were to purchase more eye pieces that is going to be around the £100 pound mark so I kinda figured that I might as well spend another £200 or so and improve the whole thing. Only being I can afford the eye pieces nearly any time. But a new scope is a bit more monies and I have the chance to do that soon.

Its just such a big thing and I dont want to make a mistake in buying the wrong one. I want to get good veiws of the planets. And later on maybe take photos. So I am looking for one that is upgradable. Even been contemplting on making my own newtonion dob.

Dapper

A Dobsonian first, followed by a GEQ mount when ready for imaging, is a good plan.

I am always pleased when somebody's first scope is a Dobsonian as I know they are off to a good start. I am always concerned when someone buys a first telescope for imaging - I know their new hobby is more likely to crash and burn on the runway :D Better to spend 6-12 months simply enjoying the views through the eyepiece first :p

Thanks for the info guys and your help steve all this is appreciated.

you have given me a lot to consider.

As this is such an expensive hobby I may contact some distributors of telescopes and sell them as that way I can buy the goods cheaper. Wouldnt be that hard to do as I own a ltd company anyeways.

Dapper

Archived