SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

P or PL, Help!!

I am finally taking the plunge and have the money for the sky water 150 from FLO. Now which one to get? P or PL? They are both the same price so what would be better for me?

i am living in North London so the light pollution will be pretty horrific and as i am new to the hobby i want to give myself the best chance of seeing as much as possible. I would also like to try taking some photos as well.

Any help is most appreciated! :glasses1:

This issue has been done to death in several recent threads. PL preferred for visual of any target or webcam of moon / planets. If you want to do DSO imaging then you'll need a much better mount and a coma corrector, add a minimum of £1000 to the price tag, as well as a guide scope, 2 cameras, a PC, anti-dev kit and a power supply to run the lot.

Still confused, i realise that i am not going to be taking photos of any Dso. I would like to take some photos of the planets though and some of the constellations. I guess after reading some of the other threads it will be the PL. I'd better get ordering then.

Taking pictures is taking pictures. The subject makes little difference. Constellations move exactly the same as a DSO possible a bit more light so less images but no other difference.

Planets move at a different rate again, our rotation plus their orbital velocity, as very few are bright you still need a set up very, very similar, try exactly the same, as for DSO's and whatever.

You still have to track whatever you image so a good mount and motors are essential, so is getting the whole lot accurately polar aligned.

The PL is not that great a difference in f number to forbid a few attempts, what migh make it more difficult is the mount.

My 1st scope was the 150P and I absolutely loved it, saw loads with it, including Saturn and Jupiter, only got rid as I dropped on a 200P at a ridiculously cheap price.....

Have read in some reviews that the PL is a little long and heavy for the EQ3-2 mount, never had any problems with the P though, and found for a beginner that it was really easy to setup and get going.

Hope that helps anyway :glasses1:

Archived