sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Why is the sky so clear and blue during summer?

Willkee

Summer skies here are more cloudy than at any other time of the year; August is predictably bad, I blame the school holidays. When the sky does clear in summer (rare) it is almost always hazy, with the daytime sky a sort of dilute mushroom soup colour.

Whoever wrote the lines of the song quoted by you appears, like most other poets, to be living in some sort of alternative universe.

Summer skies here are more cloudy than at any other time of the year; August is predictably bad, I blame the school holidays.

That's a relief! Thought the recent cloudy weather was due to me buying a new scope. I'll have to find out who's been on school holidays since the beginning of this month:eek::glasses1:

ok, two parts to this...

Why blue? Because sunlight is, to or eyes, white and gets diffracted by the atmosphere. Blue light is diffracted more than red, meaning that more blue light is ' bent' down to our eyes. This just is particularly noticeable in summer because we get more days like this in summer!

Why clear? As other people have digested, this is probably a misconception of the poet. Clear summer days in the uk are usually the result of high pressure weather conditions. These encourage inversions, trapping clag close to the surface and resulting in the ' mushroom soup' appearance noted above.

Typically, cold, crisp winter nights are much clearer with better seeing.

Is it just me or is it a bit of a myth that it happens more often in summer? I mean really.. I see plenty of crisp clear beautiful skies in the winter months. If anything they seem even more 'blue' because there's no 'heat haze' around the horizon.

I guess the argument is, the blue sky just lasts an awful lot longer between May and September.

Matt

Whoever wrote the lines of the song quoted by you appears, like most other poets, to be living in some sort of alternative universe.

Ha ha ha that made me chuckle :)

Living in the fens, I am guessing not much of the moisture gets dropped before it gets here via high ground. It seems I am always having cloudy nights :glasses1:

Oddly i was thinking back to a time only this week when,( when it was actually sunny) it tended to be clear blue skies or "fluffy white clouds"on blue sky.

These days it seems rare to get a clear blue sky, there nearly always seems to be high cloud, whispy, malingering high clouds.

Where's it all coming from? & could it please go back from whence it came.

Is it just me or is it a bit of a myth that it happens more often in summer?

Yes, it's people perpetuating the myth because that's what they think it should be like (just like a white christmas). Where I live in the S.E. of England, March/April has more clear days historically than any other time of year.

The one that I find amusing is the occasional winter weather forecast. They predict a day will be "sunny" when the sun can only possibly be up for 8 of the 24 hours. How can that count as sunny when there's no chance it could ever be the majority of the time?

Edited by pete_l

It maybe that people of a certain age (me included) always remember summer holidays as being clear and blue with a bright yellow sun, and winter being cold, crisp and clear(except bonfire night!)....Sadly as we get older those memorys are replaced with reality:confused: