SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Collimation!

Hi guys and girls, can anyone tell me if laser collimation is accurate or not? i bought a skywatcher laser collimator, to collimate my new explorer scope. i would rather i had been shown how to do this procedure before i tried it myself, but advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.:glasses1:

I love my laser collimator, its lovely, would not leave home without it. Knocks spots off a Cheshire, and makes collimation of my 12" LB a 2 minute task. Caker. Stop thinking about it and buy one - or maybe borrow from your local Astro Soc. you won't look back.

Incidentally, you asked for a procedure... once collimator is working, aim red dot into white donut on primary by adjusting the secondary screws. Go to primary and aim the reflecting dot into the laser collimator return surface to centralise. Admire stars. If anyone asks, explain that its very very hard indeed, and couldn't be explained in terms that even a math savant could understand - but for 50 quid you'll help them... heh

Yeah it is horrendously off! I thought it wouldn't be two bad when I was first rolling it along my table.

I covered the nails in selotape to stop any scratching of the laser. Now I am tinkering but I think the batteries are on the way out :glasses1:

I would if i new how to send you a link!!!! i will try and explain though, small block of wood, hammer 2 nails in to it to form an X shape, then another 2 and do the same( so your collimator sits on the nails) point the collimator at a wall, then stick a small bit of paper to the wall where the dot is, circle it. then slowly rotate your laser in the cradle. a well aligned collimator laser will not move outside your circle that you drew. if it does then you can adjust your collimator. as i have just found out there are small allen screws on the barrell, 120 degrees around the barrell, try small adjustments and you will get it!! anyway not much else we can do on cloudy nights like this!!!

Dave posted the link above guys. I made mine today, nearly exactly the same with a few adjustments. It is a great and simple design. If you read Steve Richards book he talks about how you can use plastic piping to lego to make your own, what you like :glasses1:

I adjusted my laser on a wall about 3m away, then another about 10m away until it didn't make a single movement when it was rotated. Whacked it in my precision centering adapter and hey presto, finally a spot on collimation for the first time ever - I am so chuffed :):p;)

Now it just needs a final star test for any tiny adjustments so sky gods, if you please, one clear night would be nice since it has been weeks!

Btw if you want a pic of my aligner I can get one for you but it is pretty much that one in the link.

Adam

Archived