Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Calling all astronomers... What's your birthday?

Blackheart

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I just clarify that this thread has nothing to do with astrology. I was merely wondering if the time of a person's birthday might affect their interests. Or to put it another way... if the birthdays of astronomers might have any correlation to the available hours of darkness.

If someone gets a telescope in mid summer they might not have opportunity to use it and the interest might wane. Whereas a person getting one in September has the entire season to see something that will establish their interest.

Not hugely scientific but an interesting idea at least.

Thanks for excellent response. I am just starting to plot the reuslt on the graph and cursing every time I have to put a dot in June or July!! Grrrr

Cheers

BH

Ok, your original posting was not clear on those points. Even if it were it's fatally flawed as you haven't said 'if you got a scope for your birthday', or filtered it down to minors/adults. Unfortunately then any results you get will be statistically insignificant, particularly as those people who didn't carry on their original interest are unlikely to be posting on the forum.

David

Ok, your original posting was not clear on those points. Even if it were it's fatally flawed as you haven't said 'if you got a scope for your birthday', or filtered it down to minors/adults. Unfortunately then any results you get will be statistically insignificant, particularly as those people who didn't carry on their original interest are unlikely to be posting on the forum.

David

lol

All true Dave, darn it... back to the drawing board!! :glasses1:

BH

If someone gets a telescope in mid summer they might not have opportunity to use it and the interest might wane. Whereas a person getting one in September has the entire season to see something that will establish their interest.

BH

What if they have a summer birthday and got a scope for Christmas? :glasses1:

Like me!

Archived