Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sol-vu filter

Hello again SGL, I wonder if anybody can advise me I own a Skywatcher 130p and will be purchasing an Astro Engineering Sol-vu solar filter. Problem is do I buy the 119mm-130mm or the 130mm-150mm, I know this may seem a silly question, but if anybody owns one, any advice would be great thank you :glasses1:

Most people will suggest that you do not use a solar filter for a newtonian scope, it is not recommended to view the sun through a newt, as it may cause damage to the mirrors, and because they are parabolic it will enhance the light power, and can be damaging to the eyes even with a filter.

If you can pick up a refractor that is more recommended.

If you really do still want to get a filter for the newt, then measure the scope. I would imagine you will need to get the 130 - 150 as the mirror is normally the 130mm so the outside of the scope is normally larger.

You could also buy some baadar film instead, may work out cheaper.

Most people will suggest that you do not use a solar filter for a newtonian scope, it is not recommended to view the sun through a newt

You're fine with an objective end filter.

The objective end filter sizes are to fit over the end of the tube. You should therefore measure the outside diameter of the top end of your scope - if it has 130mm mirror the OD of the tube will be more than 130mm, possibly more than 150mm.

Archived